Checkin without Mergetool

Help
tombond
2013-09-30
2016-03-08
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • Mikael Petterson

Glad you found the problem!!!
    If you don't change setting in ClearCase and it is possible to do Window-->Preferences --- Team --> ClearCase --> Diff & Merge and only set BC for diff? When you selected BC and type path to executable it should work. Then you get BC for diff but not when checkinb in?

//mike

• tombond

tombond - 2013-10-21

Yes, this works as expected. Compare opens BC, Checkin just checks in. But now I only get BC when comparing in Eclipse but I want BC to be the universal compare tool of ClearCase as it was before. I guess this isn't possible, is it?

• Mikael Petterson

No since it is a plugin for Eclipse. We don't want change behavior of external tools and env. but only eclipse.
    Hope that you can use the cc plugin for Eclipse and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

//mike

• tombond

tombond - 2013-10-21

I totally understand that you don't want to change the behavior of other tools but that isn't necessary I think. The question is: Why does clicking "Check In" in your plugin start a different action that clicking it in ClearCase Explorer. Because setting BC as compare tool in ClearCase works everywhere, no matter where I click "compare" (which is exactly what I want). So some of the functions act like they should, only checkin seems to make a difference.

• Pawel

Pawel - 2014-07-16

I had the same issue. It is strange to me, that during checkout the plugin simply executes "co" command on cleartool, but when trying to checkin, first a compare/merge is launched, instead of just executing "ci" command (which is launched after providing comment).
    Is there a way to fix this?

• Mikael Petterson

Yes I can check if it is possible to check if file has been changed ( use some kind of resource changed event mechanism) and if it is not changed then we simply checkin and if changed we perform a merge before checkin in?

Will that be the same behavior in CCExplorer?

br,

//mike

• Pawel

Pawel - 2014-07-29

Not exactly. In CCExplorer check-in simply means: "upload this file". I believe it doesn't compare the files during check-in. If I want to compare them, I would use "compare with previous" (or sth) and merge only the changes that I want.
      IMO: Check-in and check-out should NOT include any comparing/merging mechanism (by default).

• Amit Dar

Amit Dar - 2015-07-08

I see the problem I'm facing is already a known issue.
    Is there a solution? will the plugin be updated to perform a "clean" checkin/checkout like Pawel asked (almost) a year ago?

The plugin is (near) perfect for our team needs, and this is really the only issue we need fixed in order to have a perfect clearcase integration :)

• Pawel

Pawel - 2015-07-08

Hi Amit. I corrected (to some extent) this behavior. You can download the modified plugin from my Github repository - there is source code and compiled version:
      https://github.com/pa0los/eclipse-ccase-plugin/
      Hope it helps.

• Amit Dar

Amit Dar - 2015-07-08

Hi!

thanks for the quick and effective response. I'll try this next week.
    meanwhile - do you have any idea if your fix will be embedded into the "official" code by Mikael?

In addition: I see you forked version 2.2.35, what about 2.2.36? (we use the new functionality...)

Last edit: Amit Dar 2015-07-08
    • Pawel

Pawel - 2015-07-09

I doubt this is going to be merged to the official release - It's only my quick fix (removed part of the code). I'd expect that should be something configurable, so more development effort is needed to make it "right".
      Regarding the version - I wasn't aware that there was an update since then. Maybe I will do a merge when I have more time.

• Amit Dar

Amit Dar - 2015-07-10

I reviewed you changed code in "CheckInAction.java" file.

looks like you are right, the checkin option should not perform any other tests (like diff) before the actual checkin. this can also become a configurable flow...

the file "CheckInAction.java" was last changed 3 years ago, which means the 2.2.35 and 2.2.36 versions are the same, considering your change.

can you provide your update for version 2.2.36?

BTW: do you know if Mikael even considers to add your code? (even as a configurable flow?)

• Pawel

Pawel - 2015-07-15

I wasn't planning on updating my fork to the latest version.
    Can't find any changelog so hard to say if it's worth it.

• Mikael Petterson

Hi

I have stated on the "front" page of this plug-in that I have no access to clearcase anymore. But I am all in for patches from end-users :-). I will take the time to review/submit them. No problem. Currently I am working on making the code more testable as well as fixing bugs.

//mikael

• Mikael Petterson

I checked the latest code and there is a function that checks if the file that is selected for check-in is identical to previous version ( cleartool -pre -ser ).If the file is identical then we should not try to checkin in the file unless we stated to allow that. Could you test this command on the file that you try to checkin? What kind of message do you get?

• Amit Dar

Amit Dar - 2015-08-10

Hi,

lets go over the flow from my point of view:

1. I install clearcase.
    2. I install beyond compare.
    3. I want to use beyond comapre as the default compare and merge tool for clear case. In order to do that I change the file <ProgramFilesFolder>/IBM/RationalSDLC/ClearCase/lib/mgrs/map
    4. the change is done on the following lines:

text_file_delta compare
    text_file_delta xcompare
    text_file_delta merge
    text_file_delta xmerge

I simply change the path written there to the location of my locally installed beyond compare.
    5. now, whenever I want to compare or merge using the clearcase explorer, beyond comapre is being used by default.
    6. moving on - I install the eclipse ide, and add your plugin.
    7. I now have a problem since the plugin in fact does open beyond comapre by default when I try to compare or merge, but the checkin action doesn't work properly (like Pawell already explained).

pay attention to the fact there is no need to update the plugin to use beyond compare since it is done implicitly by the clearcase itself.

according to the code Pawell changed, you are checking to see differences between the latest file and the file we are trying to checkin. I don't think you should do that since the actio is only "checkin", and not "checking only if different than latest version".

the change Pawell did in the code fixed the problem, I believe he did a good job and you can merge it to your project safely.

as for me, I don't like to use a branch of your code with the fix need, I rather invest my time in explaining the problem and trying to figure a way to solve it in the main branch - your code.

once again - I GREATLY appreciate your effort and time :)

• mifoe

mifoe - 2016-03-08

The configuration in the map file is wrong. You should only change the actions xcompare and xmerge. If you change the compare action, the command:
      cleartool diff -pred <file>
      will open the Beyond Compare instead of printing the differences to the console. Also the command:
      cleartool diff -pred -options -status_only <file>
      will always give the status 0 which means no differences.

• Amit Dar

Amit Dar - 2015-08-31

Hi,

just a (small) reminder to our discussion....

I hope you'll find the time to integrate Pawell's update in the next version... :)

• Mikael Petterson

Hi,

I have some follow-up questions

• I have had other people requested the feature, #347 Support for BeyondCompare diff tool , to set compare/merge-tool in the plugin . They did not want to rely on os settings. ( By the way are these settings applicable for *nix as well?)
      They wanted to have the possibility to set an external compare/merge tool from within eclipse.
      What will work better in the plugin if we use your way to set it?

I agree that we can use plain 'checkin' since checkin will be canceled if indentical. And if we use plain checkin I guess there is no need for opening up the merge/compare tool for this case. So yes I will add this fix.

br,

//mike

Ps.I will add this to release 2.2.38

• Amit Dar

Amit Dar - 2015-09-01

Hi,

thanks for your input!

regarding your question:
      1. I don't know anything about the bahavior of clearcase/eclipse/your plugin on *nix, so I can't help with anything about that.
      2. the option to set an external compare/diff tool from eclipse is something I want as well. I don't understand if by saying that you mean to have the possibility to do it from your plugin (which is what i'm currently using with Pawells patch - and it works perfectly with the update to the clearcase config files so I have both the ability to configure clearcase behavior outside eclipse, and in eclipse using your tool.

I hope this is the answer you were looking for (i.e. - leave current behavior untouched and add Pawell's patch).

• Amit Dar

Amit Dar - 2015-10-07

Happy to update that the last version (2.2.38) has finally solved the discussed issue :)

bravo!

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)