Menu

subtitles

Help
jjcinema
2016-04-26
2018-08-12
  • jjcinema

jjcinema - 2016-04-26

If I have a mkv file with subtitles why does DVDStyler not include this in the convert like many other converter programs do?

Thanks

Last edit: jjcinema 2016-04-26
  • JMJ

JMJ - 2016-04-26

Use Subtitle Edit ( or EasySup, Txt2Vobsub ..) to convert the .srt to idx/vobsub and then mux them with MKVMergeGUI/MKVToolNixGUI and use the muxed file. Notice DVDStyler will default to "Omit" for the subtitle so you need to choose "Copy"

See also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdRcJeIFzHM

Cheers

• jjcinema

jjcinema - 2016-04-26

Last edit: jjcinema 2016-04-26
  • JMJ

JMJ - 2016-04-26

OMG not again. At some point I thought the reason for Post awaiting moderation was that I used text links but then I got them anyway - still don't know why and of course this was a post I didn't make a copy of.

To use subtitle in mkv you need to convert the srt to idx/vobsub with Subtile Edit (or EasySup, txt2vobsub ..) and mux this to the mkv with MKVMergeGUI/MKVToolnixGUI. The default for DVDStyler is to use "Omit" for the subtitle so you need to change that to "Copy".

See also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdRcJeIFzHM

(DVDStyler also offers Omit/Copy for srt in MKV but here Copy makes no sense)

Cheers

Last edit: JMJ 2016-04-26
  • jjcinema

jjcinema - 2016-04-26

Thanks JMJ I will have a look at that clip and see if I can get that sorted out,
    Many Thanks

• jjcinema

jjcinema - 2016-04-27

JMJ i will out the subtitle software you recomnended but i thought id ask if you knew any websites that I could download reliable accurate subtitles from for my movie/tv project's?

Also is there anyway or software that allows me to fix subtitles are are out of time? I noticed this happens with tv shows in which i have cut the commercial breaks it seems to knock of the subtitlw timing.

Thanks

• JMJ

JMJ - 2016-04-27

Use a search engine

http://www.subtitleseeker.com/

currently indexes 22 subtitle sites.

Use Subtitle Edit

It has a "point sync" feature as well as you can make "Visual sync" (start/end) for part of a subtitle.

Cheers

• jjcinema

jjcinema - 2016-04-27

@JMJ

thanks my friend that link is pretty good, I was looking at open subtitles website but some of the subtitles seemed inaccurate......

Subtitle edit looks very useful I will give that a try. Thank you once again.

• Björn Lewandowski

Hey,

I'm new to DVDStyler and have the same problem as stated here in this thread with the subtitles. I tried the steps JMJ mentioned but somehow it didn't work for me.
    I extracted my subtitle from the .mkv file with Aegisub and saved it as a .srt file (no problem here). Then I opened the subtitle in Subtitle Edit to export it as idx/vobsub ile as stated above. Unfortunately, the preview of the export looks different from my subtitle I have in my .mkv file (font type, position, colour, etc. are different). However, the font style seems to be recognized by Subtitle Edit when importing the file.
    My aim is to mux the subtitle together with the video file so that when I burn the DVD in DVDStyler the subtitle is "burnt" into the video, so it is forced to show during the playback.
    Any suggestions, where my problem could be solved? I would really appreciate if someone could help me. Thanks in advance!

Björn

• JMJ

JMJ - 2017-02-12

Use the "+" icon on the property sheet to add your srt file

Cheers

• Björn Lewandowski

Thanks for the reply.
    Unfortunately, DVDStyler can't connect the subtitle file (.srt format) with the video (.mkv format), it just gives an error message.
    Adding an .aas file works, but then DVDStyler changes font type, size, color, etc...
    I don't knwo, what or where the problem may be :-/

• JMJ

JMJ - 2017-02-12

If you have formatting you want to keep you could hardcode them with the "ass" filter (Attached) or follow the procedure here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/dvdstyler/discussion/318795/thread/e4ab351e/

Cheers

• Björn Lewandowski

Thanks again for the reply.
    So hardcoding with the filter option would be what I want. After I applied the filter like stated in your attachment and start to create the DVD, the following error occurs:

"ERR: 2 opening input video file "C:\Users\BJRNLE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\dvd-cache\entry001.vob" -- No such file or directory"

The video input file (.mkv) is from an external device and the subtitle file in .ass format is on my desktop. I applied the filter to the video as follwed:

" ass='C\:\Users\Björn Lewandowski\Desktop\test.ass' "

I'm new to using DVDStyler and filters and don't know how to make it work...

• JMJ

JMJ - 2017-02-12

I think the "ö" could be a problem. Try something like the attached.

Your log (dvdstyler.log in your Temp dir) probably says:

Lewandowski\Desktop\test.ass': No such file or directory

Cheers

• Björn Lewandowski

You were right. The letter seems to have been the problem. I changed the directory of the subtitle file and now it worked perfectly. Thank you very much for your hep and patience!

Best regards,
    Björn