Menu

Interactive Display Adjustment Not Responding

Corey H
2015-03-02
2015-03-18
  • Corey H

Corey H - 2015-03-02

Hi Florian,

First off I want to say thanks again for your help earlier. and the fact that you develop this powerful program, and are active on the forums is truly amazing. I have one more question to bother you with, and then I think after that it should be smooth sailing.

I've been calibrating an sRGB monitor for use as a reference monitor in Resolve (output is going to be for web and budget isn't ready for the broadcast equipment) and I've been getting some high errors (Deltas of 50-100) and very strange on screen results if I just go ahead and see what the 3d LUT looks like applied.

If I go through the interactive display adjustment, it hangs on a blue swatch starts beeping and shows these results:
    http://imgur.com/kA5OpX5,Kt611uj

If I make adjustments to my monitor's controls for brightness, RGB gain, or color temperature, I see the lower bar change but nothing really happens to the upper ones. I know it's because what is being displayed is a blue swatch. so the balance should be way off, but I'm wondering why is it asking for adjustments while displaying that. Could it be a bug or am I missing something entirely?

I also have a screenshot of my test configuration, as maybe that has a hand in it. I'm pretty sure I have everything set up right though:

http://imgur.com/kA5OpX5,Kt611uj#1

Also, since this type of calibration is new to me, I've learned so much reading the guides on getting started, but I still can't wrap my head around some of the inner workings. I'm not sure if I should be fiddling with the tone curve settings before the test begins as I know it is different from NTSC, In my troubleshooting I've turned it both on auto and sRGB. What would you recommend for the slightly unconventional use of a 100% sRGB gamut LCD for a referance monitor?

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2015-03-02

Hello Corey,

Please attach the file C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\dispcalGUI\logs\interact.log so I can verify.
    From all I know, this is a Resolve issue, but could also be a 3rd party firewall or antivirus issue.
    Updating Resolve to the latest version (11.2.1) could help. Using the Windows firewall instead of a 3rd party one could also help.

I also have a screenshot of my test configuration, as maybe that has a hand in it. I'm pretty sure I have everything set up right though:

Settings look fine. When using the Resolve preset, normally you shouldn't need to change anything.

• Corey H

Corey H - 2015-03-02

I've just attached the log file. It's still not working after disabling the firewall. I also noticed during the display adjustment, moving my mouse sometimes causes weird color on my laptop screen (not the one linked through resolve). It seems to connect fine and playback works great under normal conditions. Just in case, I've listed out my hardware if that raises any flags for incompatibilities.

Laptop specs
    System 76 Bonobo Extreme Model Bonx 8
    NVIDIA GTX 980M
    Win7
    Da Vinci Resolve 11.2,1Lite.002

Capture Playback Card
    Blackmagic Intensity Extreme

Monitor
    ASUS PA248Q

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2015-03-02

Ok, the problem is definitely with Resolve, it stops processing the data sent. Nothing I can do about it unfortunately.

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2015-03-18

The current beta of dispcalGUI (v2.9) can optionally use the Lightspace interface in Resolve instead of the Calman one. Not sure if it'll help as I suspect the problem in Resolve will be the same, but if you want to try it, update to 2.9, make sure dispcalGUI is closed and open C:\Users\Your_Username\AppData\Roaming\dispcalGUI\dispcalGUI.ini in a text editor (i.e. Notepad) and add the following line at the bottom:

patterngenerator.resolve = LS

Save the file, then restart dispcalGUI for the setting to take effect.