|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-10-14 12:56:21
|
I really like that idea ! Can you find out which Kernel Patch is providing this feature? Heiko On 10/13/2003 11:08:32 PM "Dean Nedelman" wrote: >I was reading the release notes for Fedora (the latest version of >RedHat's >consumer product - in beta). It had the following comment >(http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/): > >------------------ > >The Fedora Core 0.94 kernel now makes it possible to prevent the >loading of >kernel modules. This can be useful for system administrators wanting t= o >ensure that only a strictly-controlled set of modules are loaded. To >disable >kernel module loading, issue the following command: > >echo off > /proc/modules > >Once this command has been issued, all further attempts to load kernel= >modules will fail. > >NOTE: Once kernel module loading has been disabled, a reboot is >required to >re-enable it. > >------------------------ > >And I was thinking - wouldn't this be a useful feature for Devil-Linux= ? >After all - we are [presumably] running a "static" environment. So >once a >system is booted, wouldn't we WANT to prevent the loading (and/or >changing) >of kernel modules? = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-10-15 12:55:45
|
Hey, I extracted the patch from the Redhat Kernel src.rpm, but didn't have t= ime to give it a try yet. Any suggestion how we should implement this? Should we lock i.e. 5 minutes (configurable) after the bootup? Should we lock immediately (configurable)? For the setup of the computer we need to be able to still load modules.= cya Heiko On 10/14/2003 02:23:32 PM "Dean Nedelman" wrote: >Well, from what I could find, does this make any sense to you? >linux-2.4.20-modulesoff.patch > >The only place besides RedHat that I could find it mentioned was on th= e >SentryFirewall site. So it may be a RedHat specific modification. In= >particular, I couldn't find it mentioned on the Kernel mailing list >archives... > >Dean > >-----Original Message----- >Subject: Re: [Devil-linux-develop] Feature Request: Disabling of Modul= e >Loading > > >I really like that idea ! >Can you find out which Kernel Patch is providing this feature? > >Heiko > >On 10/13/2003 11:08:32 PM "Dean Nedelman" wrote: >>I was reading the release notes for Fedora (the latest version of >>RedHat's >>consumer product - in beta). It had the following comment >>(http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/): >> >>------------------ >> >>The Fedora Core 0.94 kernel now makes it possible to prevent the >>loading of >>kernel modules. This can be useful for system administrators wanting = to >>ensure that only a strictly-controlled set of modules are loaded. To >>disable >>kernel module loading, issue the following command: >> >>echo off > /proc/modules >> >>Once this command has been issued, all further attempts to load kerne= l >>modules will fail. >> >>NOTE: Once kernel module loading has been disabled, a reboot is >>required to >>re-enable it. >> >>------------------------ >> >>And I was thinking - wouldn't this be a useful feature for Devil-Linu= x? >>After all - we are [presumably] running a "static" environment. So >>once a >>system is booted, wouldn't we WANT to prevent the loading (and/or >>changing) >>of kernel modules? > > > >------------------------------------------------------- >This SF.net email is sponsored by: SF.net Giveback Program. >SourceForge.net hosts over 70,000 Open Source Projects. >See the people who have HELPED US provide better services: >Click here: http://sourceforge.net/supporters.php >_______________________________________________ >Devil-linux-develop mailing list >Dev...@li... >https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-15 13:10:24
|
> I extracted the patch from the Redhat Kernel src.rpm, but didn't have time > to give it a try yet. > Any suggestion how we should implement this? > Should we lock i.e. 5 minutes (configurable) after the bootup? > Should we lock immediately (configurable)? Or we could do both. Lock (or not, configurable) after "n" minutes (also configurable). - BS > For the setup of the computer we need to be able to still load modules. > cya > Heiko > > On 10/14/2003 02:23:32 PM "Dean Nedelman" wrote: > >Well, from what I could find, does this make any sense to you? > >linux-2.4.20-modulesoff.patch > > > >The only place besides RedHat that I could find it mentioned was on the > >SentryFirewall site. So it may be a RedHat specific modification. In > >particular, I couldn't find it mentioned on the Kernel mailing list > >archives... > > > >Dean > > > >-----Original Message----- > >Subject: Re: [Devil-linux-develop] Feature Request: Disabling of Module > >Loading > > > > > >I really like that idea ! > >Can you find out which Kernel Patch is providing this feature? > > > >Heiko > > > >On 10/13/2003 11:08:32 PM "Dean Nedelman" wrote: > >>I was reading the release notes for Fedora (the latest version of > >>RedHat's > >>consumer product - in beta). It had the following comment > >>(http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/): > >> > >>------------------ > >> > >>The Fedora Core 0.94 kernel now makes it possible to prevent the > >>loading of > >>kernel modules. This can be useful for system administrators wanting to > >>ensure that only a strictly-controlled set of modules are loaded. To > >>disable > >>kernel module loading, issue the following command: > >> > >>echo off > /proc/modules > >> > >>Once this command has been issued, all further attempts to load kernel > >>modules will fail. > >> > >>NOTE: Once kernel module loading has been disabled, a reboot is > >>required to > >>re-enable it. > >> > >>------------------------ > >> > >>And I was thinking - wouldn't this be a useful feature for Devil-Linux? > >>After all - we are [presumably] running a "static" environment. So > >>once a > >>system is booted, wouldn't we WANT to prevent the loading (and/or > >>changing) > >>of kernel modules? |
|
From: Dean N. <di...@ti...> - 2003-10-14 18:24:10
|
Well, from what I could find, does this make any sense to you? linux-2.4.20-modulesoff.patch The only place besides RedHat that I could find it mentioned was on the SentryFirewall site. So it may be a RedHat specific modification. In particular, I couldn't find it mentioned on the Kernel mailing list archives... Dean -----Original Message----- Subject: Re: [Devil-linux-develop] Feature Request: Disabling of Module Loading I really like that idea ! Can you find out which Kernel Patch is providing this feature? Heiko On 10/13/2003 11:08:32 PM "Dean Nedelman" wrote: >I was reading the release notes for Fedora (the latest version of >RedHat's >consumer product - in beta). It had the following comment >(http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/): > >------------------ > >The Fedora Core 0.94 kernel now makes it possible to prevent the >loading of >kernel modules. This can be useful for system administrators wanting to >ensure that only a strictly-controlled set of modules are loaded. To >disable >kernel module loading, issue the following command: > >echo off > /proc/modules > >Once this command has been issued, all further attempts to load kernel >modules will fail. > >NOTE: Once kernel module loading has been disabled, a reboot is >required to >re-enable it. > >------------------------ > >And I was thinking - wouldn't this be a useful feature for Devil-Linux? >After all - we are [presumably] running a "static" environment. So >once a >system is booted, wouldn't we WANT to prevent the loading (and/or >changing) >of kernel modules? |