Menu

DBAN wipes my bootable USB

Help
Anonymous
2010-07-14
2013-05-21
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-07-14

I'm in the middle of wiping 50+ computers to get them ready for donation, but some of them won't boot DBAN from the CD, so I'm using a bootable USB. The problem with this, is that when I start up DBAN it erases my USB drive and I have to reformat and redownload DBAN back on it to do the next computer. Is there any way to prevent DBAN from erasing my USB stick?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-11-03

Im also interested in this, is there a way to remove the usb support or something?

• bcstechnologies

bcstechnologies - 2011-01-05

Nothing?  I am having the same problem and have 80 systems to wipe… Is there a parameter that can be passed or something to only wipe HDD?

• Rose Hope

Rose Hope - 2011-01-08

Hello All,
    I want to wipe a PC with windowsXP. I download the Download dban-2.2.6_i586.iso (10.9 MB) to PC, then burn to DVD.  Restart the computer (Change to boot order), it does not work, the computer start the windowsxp.
    Then I copy the  dban-2.2.6_i586.iso (10.9 MB) to USB flash drive. Restart the computer (change the boot order) , but the computer let me remove this media.

Any suggestions
    Thank you

• RogWie

RogWie - 2011-04-03

Hy,
    does anybody solve the Problem?

Roger

• Bandit01

Bandit01 - 2011-04-05

I don't know exactly what you guys are using, but I'm using the Ultimate Boot CD (which includes DBAN), but I have it on my flashdrive instead of CD.  The bootloader (syslinux) loads the dban iso file into memory which allows me to physically remove the USB stick before wiping (remove it when it says "Boot:" and before you hit enter).

• RogWie

RogWie - 2011-04-05

Thanks,
    Im' using dban 2.2.6 (beta) install to boot-Stick.
    Meanwhile I find your way out by myself. Yes remove the stick bevor dban search for USB Stick is usefull.

The way to use only "Enter" at the promt, to go the ineractive way seamed to be also possible.
    But if i uncheck the usb-stick dban crashes.

But:
    I'm using the stick now - in former times i used the diskette -, becouse Im searching for the log file.
    I wish i could have it on the usb-stick. In former times dban write the logfile to diskette - per default.

I read : There should be the log file in memory? How can i read it out? How can I copy this to USB-Stick?
    "dmseg" is the command? In wich way do i have to use it?
    In this case I can plug the stick after starting wiping again?
    Roger

• Bandit01

Bandit01 - 2011-04-05

Actually, after replying to this topic, I decided to make myself a flash drive that would autonuke when booted (no interaction, besides booting from usb flash drive in bios).  I customized it to do a 1 pass, no verify (quickest).

Let me throw together a tutorial and I'll post it here for anybody who wants a DBAN flash drive with almost no interaction.