Menu

using DBAN at school - erasing old disks

Help
Rob
2022-05-24
2024-07-11
  • Rob

Rob - 2022-05-24

Hi, I'm an admin at a state high school - can I use DBAN to erase old disks?

• SEP

SEP - 2022-05-25

Yes sir, it is harder on the disks (because of the multi-pass erasure) but if you have sensitive information on those disks it's smarter to use DBAN then to just throw them away or give them away to a recycling center or otherwise.

If you use DBAN, even on the quick erase setting; it's much more effective then physical destruction.

• Rob

Rob - 2022-05-25

Yes, but I was more concerned if the license terms would allow it? We are a state high school and we must respect the law. And I have a lot of such computers before we recycle them. That's why I asked about it. It is true that we are not a business company - a commercial - but a state school. Because I don't know if I can use it at school?

• Grissess

Grissess - 2022-06-22

This project is distributed under the GNU General Public License, version 2 (or optionally the "Lesser" version of the same, but the exceptions there aren't particularly material unless you're developing software yourself).

You should read the (linked) text for details, but the basics are:
    - The project is distributed for use without any warranty, express or implied;
    - You have the right to ask for the source code of the project;
    - You are free to modify the source code of the project to suit your needs;
    - You may distribute the project yourself freely, provided you do not infringe the rights of others to request the source code (should you distribute a modified version--you have no liability to distribute versions you merely use if they are obtainable elsewhere);
    - You are otherwise free to do as you wish (including use the program in any way you see fit).

The project is copyright its developers, insofar as that copyright is an instrument to protect those rights above. (I can't find the copyright holders distributed in the source code of the most recent version as of this writing, which might be of some concern, but the whole project appears to be a mild modification to Buildroot, which is licensed under the GPL2, and so this is almost assuredly beholden to the same license, inasmuch as this isn't legal advice.)

If it helps, I, too, am using this project at a state school :) . Hopefully that clears things up!

• styloclothing

styloclothing - 2024-07-11

https://styloclothing.com/rider/ is a one-stop factory for the established brand, medium-sized brand, or independent fashion designer and design entrepreneur. We provide specialized services for equestrian clothing, including sourcing, product development and design, and manufacturing. For sourcing, we help you find textiles and raw materials tailored specifically for equestrian apparel. In product development, we offer pattern making, labels, packaging, cut and sew, and samples, all with a focus on the unique needs of equestrian clothing. In manufacturing, we manage all garment-related processes from cut to sew to logistics, ensuring high-quality equestrian apparel.