dban won't run from bootable floppy or cd

Help
kusobus
2008-08-19
2013-05-21
  • kusobus

kusobus - 2008-08-19

hi,

sorry in advance for my ignorance but i just downloaded DBAN-1.0.7.i386.exe and loaded it onto a floppy. when i boot my system, the floppy light comes on but then xp boots normally. i also tried burning the .iso image to a cd in bootable format but the same thing happens. is there something i'm missing? the FAQ link for this product is missing so i apologize for such a simple question i'm posting.

tia,
    dave

• Darik Horn

Darik Horn - 2008-08-26

• Louise

Louise - 2013-04-28

Hi there,

I am also having the same issue.  I have an ancient Elonex PC running XP professional which I'd like to wipe before ditching.  I downloaded the current DBAN (2.2.7) and burned the ISO to CD; however when I start up the computer with the CD in it just loads as normal.  I thought perhaps it was an issue with booting from CD (although the boot sequence IS set Ok on the computer and the light flashes etc etc); so I then downloaded DBAN 1.0.7.exe and ran it to create a bootable floppy instead.  Again, however, when the PC starts up you can hear it checking the floppy, then the CD, but then it just starts as normal…  Not sure if there's something up with the PC (as I said, it is ancient), or if I'm doing something wrong?  Is there a way to run the bootable disc from within Windows/command prompt or such like once XP is loaded?  Who knew it was so hard to wipe a computer?!

Thanks in advance!

Louise

• Louise

Louise - 2013-04-28

OK, managed to resolve it now!  Boot sequence wasn't quite right within BIOS, it kept defaulting back to the C drive after trying (and failing) to boot from CD.  Have now managed to boot from the floppy and all working fine.

Thanks!

L