Hard drive not found by clonezilla live

bookie56
2020-01-16
2020-01-26
  • bookie56

bookie56 - 2020-01-16

Hi guys!
    Been a while...
    I have two problems but the first is to do with the live version...
    I donloaded the test version because the stable wasn't working and got the same problem...so the version I am using from USB is "clonezilla-live-2.6.5-12-amd64". When I have started clonezilla and have chosen where to store the image(on a usb in this case).
    I name the image and then it just fails to find the local hard drive...?
    Here are the details of the computer if it can help.
    It is a Lenovo S340-15IWL, it has a 256 ssd M.2 2242 (NVMe) drive/card....
    This is a brand new computer with no problems it is just that clonezilla live isn't finding the drive...
    I did worry because when deciding where to store the image it lists all the partitions etc...and it only listed the external usb that I was going to use for the image.
    Is there something I can test....?
    bookie56

• bookie56

bookie56 - 2020-01-18

Hi chuck!
    I cannpt find any such setting in this non-legacy bios...

• bookie56

bookie56 - 2020-01-19

Hi again something else I should add here is the fact if I click on storage as shown in bild-2b above I have controller mode [RST mode] ...there I can choose tho set to AHCI mode but that would entail erasing the disk...and a warning is displayed if I attempt to go that route...
    Just thinking that if this is to become the norm then maybe Steven has a soloution or maybe is working on a solution?
    Didn't know much about RST mode but with it enabled it "Enables Intel RST and system Acceleratio with Intel Optane Technology" A quoute from UEFI...

bookie56

Last edit: bookie56 2020-01-19
  • bookie56

bookie56 - 2020-01-19

Hi again!
    been reading the post below but this is a customer computer and it is worrying that they put up such a message:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/S340-15IWL-Can-t-Legacy-Boot-from-USB/td-p/4477110

Ok this is a way to get the legacy mode so the hard drive is seen from a clonezilla live cd....but not he ultimate solution and as said before...just wonder if Steven is working on a solution for this problem....
    I am looking att the accessories list for the above model from the left side of the laptop usb-c..but even if I have a way of booting from the network adapter the problem will still remain because of th bios settings...
    If Steven has some time to comment here I would really appreciate it....;)

bookie56

Last edit: bookie56 2020-01-19
  • bookie56

bookie56 - 2020-01-24

Well this problem is getting worse by the day...now have an Acer A515-54 that has RST with Optane and there is no way to get past it...I have seen that you can activate SATA with Ctrl + S but that just doesn't work so cloning with clonezilla is going to become a thing of the past at this rate...

bookie56

• bookie56

bookie56 - 2020-01-25

This is not a gripe....I appereciate that Steven is busy but a few comments to let us know if this support is going to be added to Clonezilla so that RST with Optane doesn't cause these problems when cloning...

bookie56

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2020-01-26

Have you tried different versions of Clonezilla live? e.g., 2.6.4-10, 20191024-eoan, or 20200114-focal?
    They come with different versions of Linux kernel so your hardware might be supported.

Steven

• bookie56

bookie56 - 2020-01-26

I will take a look at that...
    Thank you😀