Maya 092 setup issues (new to Python)

Help
meesto
2006-08-27
2013-03-24
  • meesto

meesto - 2006-08-27

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this post.

I am new to Python and am very eager to start using Python as a way to access and develop tools for Maya. I am struggling to get the inital plugin to be built.

I am running Windows XP sp2.
    I've installed Python 2.4.3.
    I've installed gccxml, pygccxml, pypplusplus (and experimental CVS components).
    I've created PYTHONPATH variables to point to the various directories needed and yet I get the following error when I try to import pypp_setup.py:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<pyshell#2>", line 1, in -toplevel-
        import pypp_setup.py
      File "L:\PYTHON\maya-0.9.2\pypp_setup.py", line 7, in -toplevel-
        from pypp_api import *
      File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\pyplusplus\experimental\pypp_api.py", line 59, in -toplevel-
        from pyplusplus import code_creators
      File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\pyplusplus\__init__.py", line 26, in -toplevel-
        import code_creators
      File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\pyplusplus\code_creators\__init__.py", line 108, in -toplevel-
        from indexing_suites import indexing_suite1_t
    ImportError: cannot import name indexing_suite1_t

Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much.

• Matthias Baas

Matthias Baas - 2006-08-27

The error you see here happens inside pyplusplus. It looks as if something is wrong with your pygccxml/pyplusplus installation. Did you get those also from cvs? Then it's not the latest version. The pygccxml/pyplusplus project has switched to Subversion for version control, so you have to check out your version from svn instead of cvs.
      The additional code that has been in "experimental" is now in contrib/pypp_api.

By the way, what version of Maya are you using? If possible I would recommend to use the pre-generated sources so that you don't have to run pyplusplus at all (this would simplify things quite a bit). Even when you get the above fixed you might run into another problem with gccxml and the MSVC headers. At least, I haven't been able yet to generate the sources on Windows (gccxml always produces errors). Instead, I'm generating them on Linux and use those sources for Windows as well.

- Matthias -

• meesto

meesto - 2006-08-27

Hi Matthias,

I found my way to the pyplusplus files through the doxygen files that are part of Maya 0.9.2 package. The link I finally used was: https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=118209

I'll have a look at the SVN files, but in the meantime I think you may be very correct in thinking that bypassing the compiling process would be great. I am running Maya 7.0.1, and 6.5 for WindowsXP (I have earlier licensed versions, but only access them for legacy purposes). Would you happen to have the .mll files that I could load directly? Thanks!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks