Menu

Please, A Little Pre-Install Advice

2012-06-23
2013-04-22
  • Tom Hollister

Tom Hollister - 2012-06-23

Greetings to all -

From what I have read … Linux has historically been the operating system of choice for BRL-Cad.

If I install BRL-Cad on a Win 7 box … will I face additional hardship because I am outside the mainstream user base?

Are there features found in the Linux version not yet functional in the Win 7 version?

I realize BRL-Cad has some amazing high-end capabilities in 3-dimensional modelling, materials analysis, and other very scientific endeavors. My Cad skills are close to novice status. Is it unreasonable to expect success from a novice that will initially only be working with 2-dimensional drawings?

Thank you in advance for any guidance received.

• tholly

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2012-06-24

Of course you'll face additional hardship. :)

Sure, it should be useful and useable to someone on Windows whose skills are close to novice status.  There are a few features not available, such as a few of BRL-CAD's importers and exporters, but the core modeling functionality is there.

It will be a little unreasonable to expect success if you think you'll initially only be working with 2-dimensional drawings, however.  As BRL-CAD is more of a solid modeling system (akin to Solidworks, NX, or CATIA) and not a drafting system (like AutoCAD), the 2D capabilities are very limited.

If you go through the MGED tutorials on the website ( http://brlcad.org/wiki/Documentation ), you'll get a feel for some of the very basics.

Cheers!
    Sean

• Tom Hollister

Tom Hollister - 2012-06-24

Sean -

Thank you for the guidance.

Another thread in this forum pointed me towards DraftSight and so far it seems a very good fit for my current skill set and immediate needs; however, I find myself intrigued by capabilities of BRL-Cad and certainly plan to explore those tutorials your referenced.

I see BRL-Cad as being the missing nudge needed to finally get me to expand beyond being a Windows only user. Better late than never and this relatively safe adventure is fun.

• tholly