Menu

Is Bibus being maintained any more?

Robert
2014-09-05
2021-12-23
  • Robert

Robert - 2014-09-05

I have seen no reaction to my request for help on getting Bibus to work with the newer addition of OpenOffice (it won't work with LibreOffice as well) and there seems to be little action on fixing the issues with the newer software.

Bibus is the best of the Bibliographic packages I've tried - Zotero is junk (ties you to the internet for one thing and it's not really configured for truly serious writing), JabRef has the same issues as Bibus (can't get it to work with the newer OpenOffice), and the offerings from the two different organizations (LibreOffice and OpenOffice) are pretty much worthless - especially if you may be submitting to different journals. I don't have the time or inclination for learning enough to maintain it on my own, nor the funds to go out and start buying packages until I find one that's decent (and which is as easily configured as Bibus). I hope that the maintainer will notice that there are requests to get this software working again - it's great but a pain to use without the interface working (I even installed LyX but don't have the time to learn a new package).

If the maintainer has dropped Bibus, maybe we all can get OpenOffice to adopt it? It makes their offerings in this area look like junk.

I'm not just griping - I REALLY would like to see Bibus working again! (I have almost a thousand references to track already organized in Bibus, and just imported over 14,000 references from my mentor.)

• Martijn Werts

Martijn Werts - 2014-11-05

Bibus has greatly helped me in managing the bibliography of research manuscripts. I started using Bibus back in 2006. It was the first program to work efficiently with LibreOffice/OpenOffice. Bibus has also contributed to creating the conditions that allowed other new (LibreOffice compatible) bibliographic software to be developed (Zotero, Mendeley etc.).

The Bibus code is ageing, and there seem to be no resources at present to bring it up to date again. It would have been fun to see Bibus switch to the more robust word processor plug-in technology that is used by Zotero and Mendeley (and which should solve many of the issues of getting Bibus to work again).

I admit that I have been using Mendeley for quite some time now, and it does a good job. Before making the switch, I checked that I was able to export the bibliographic references from Mendeley and import these back into Bibus again, in case I want to switch back in the future.

Thanks again to Pierre and all other contributors to the "Bibus eco-system". Au plaisir!

Martin

• Michael Palmer

Michael Palmer - 2016-03-11

On Debian Jessie and as of March 2016, I got Bibus to work not with LibreOffice (which comes prepackaged from the Debian repositories) but with Apache OpenOffice, which also offers debian packages. However, this only worked after recompiling wxPython using the Python executable bundled with OpenOffice. I described this in some more detail in this forum.

• Penguin2100

Penguin2100 - 2021-07-21

Hi,

I have made python3 migration on my system. (Debian, AMD64) It is nothing more than 'works on python3'. Following functionalities are missing, "word processor connection" and probably something else.
    Migration from imp.py to importlib.py is probably OK. Import/Export is probably OK. Several other minor modification includes 1. doi goes to Custom5 field, 2. http -> to https at pubmed cite, ....
    Is anybody interested under GPLv2?

regards

• Penguin2100

Penguin2100 - 2021-08-17

Hi,

Libreoffice connection works now. Only clipboard LyX connection works.
    eTBlast is defunct, so not working.

• Diego A. Acosta

Diego A. Acosta - 2021-10-01

I am interested... Can you revive bibus?

• Penguin2100

Penguin2100 - 2021-10-01

With my system, Debian testing AMD64 with python3 utf-8, sqlite, it is working as described above.
    Automatic file detection, preview, printing MSWord Mysql connection are not checked. Database initialization is not checked either. If not work, workaround is to start with mock file.
    doi goes to Custom5, PII# goes to Custom 4. Most of wxpython related issues are taken care of.
    pubmed connection is updated. Issues with bold, italic, super/subscript is taken care of.

Last edit: Penguin2100 2021-10-01
  • Diego A. Acosta

Diego A. Acosta - 2021-10-01

If you need a tester using libreoffice on windows 10, I will do it... How can I help?

• Penguin2100

Penguin2100 - 2021-10-03

Short answer is "no". I have no plan about Word connection.
    I need to take care license part, then make tar-ball. It may take several days.

• Penguin2100

Penguin2100 - 2021-10-07

Hi
    tar-ball is built.

• Penguin2100

Penguin2100 - 2021-10-07

Hi,

It looks like that LyX connection is working.
    I am not a LaTeX expert, following I did.
    Export bib file from bibus.
    Specify bib file in my tex file, and style also
    Run LaTeX, BibTeX, LaTeX..

• Penguin2100

Penguin2100 - 2021-11-05

Following problem is taken care of, (sqlite only)
    duplicate identifier is automatically changed. (used to be by hand)

• Penguin2100

Penguin2100 - 2021-12-23

python3 transition version is available at biblioAssist https://sourceforge.net/projects/biblioassist/