Menu

Change Layout

Developers
2011-11-08
2013-06-05
  • Jack Pimbert

Jack Pimbert - 2011-11-08

Hi,

I'm currently looking to add another option in AOI where the user can change the view layout to: left hand side - perspective, then right hand side - top/side/front views on top of each other. This way the user can work on the 3d view while still having access to plans for more accuracy.

At the moment I think this can be done via the LayoutWindow.java file, however, how can I add an option like the Scene:One View and Scene:Four Views options? E.g. Scene:1 and 3 Views

Is this possible with the current code or is new code necessary?

Thanks for your help!

Jack

• Jack Pimbert

Jack Pimbert - 2011-11-09

Hey,

So, at the moment I've managed to add another view layout which is 2 views, one on the left side, and one on the right side. This can be configured to have a perspective on the right hand side, with a front view on the left - helpful for certain types of modelling, e.g. human head etc..

However.. this only works when either the top left or top right views are the active ones. E.g. when I select bottom right or bottom left views, and then cycle through the layouts, the layout doesn't work.. Instead I get 4 views with only 2 that can be accessed (the top two..)

Is there an obvious fix/problem?

I've added another few viewsContainer.add lines in an if loop, so the layouts alternate between 4 views - 2 views - 1 view.

Is it possible to create a new viewsContainer(e.g. viewsContainer2) and then create a new layout from this, e.g. 1 left view, with 2 stacked right views?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jack

• Luke S

Luke S - 2011-11-09

Hi, I'm not much of a programmer, so I'm not sure why your mods are acting that way.

However, regarding your goal (3+1 layout) there is a plugin that does this already. It is called View Layout, and it is available from the standard plugin repository. You can download it with the SPmanager (tools menu) or manually go to the repository site (there is a link on the art of illusion homepage) and drop it into MyDrive:\where\ever\i\have\artofillusion\plugins.

Hope this helps.

ljs

• Luke S

Luke S - 2011-11-09

Oh, forgot to mention:

There is a post over on the main discussion forum that claim this plugin causes some glitches with the (brand new) version 2.9            - never heard of problems with 2.8.1,

ljs

• Nik Trevallyn-Jones

Hi Jack,

My apologies - I saw your original post, but misread one of the points.

It is far better to write/update a plugin rather than try modifying core AOI code.

I thought you were attempting to modify the ViewLayout plugin, but on re-reading you post, I see that you are looking at modifying the core AOI class.

I would definitely recommend that you install and test the ViewLayout plugin first - and then if it doesn't provide all the features you want; look into modifying that.

We can certainly give you help in doing that.

PS: to install the ViewLayout plugin, first try using the "Tools | Scripts and Plugin Manager" to install automatically.
    If this fails to connect/install (eg due to a web proxy, or Windows 7 permissions issues) do a quick search in the forums here for solutions to that or instructions on downloading and installing plugins manually.

Cheers!
    Nik

• Jack Pimbert

Jack Pimbert - 2011-11-10

Hey,

Thanks for the info! I'll take a look into writing/updating a plugin. Is there somewhere to find the source codes of the plug ins?
    I managed to make my code work through editing the core AoI files, but now I understand that's the wrong thing to do.

I'll keep you posted on my efforts.

Thanks again,
    Jack

• Luke S

Luke S - 2011-11-10

Some of the plugin sources are at www.sourceforge.net/projects/aoisp The View Layout source is definitely there. For other plugins, the people who wrote them keep the sources in a variety of locations - it varies from person to person, but the link I put in has a lot of the more common ones.

Have fun