Menu

Live duplicates of children objects

Help
2015-03-03
2015-03-08
  • Kiro Neptosia

Kiro Neptosia - 2015-03-03

If one makes live duplicate of an object and its children (by selecting them all), a live duplicate is created for each object (which is fine), but the parent/child relation is lost: all the duplicate objects are at the same root level. I have to rearrange them in a tree structure manually, which can take some time. Is there a way to achieve that automatically?

• Luke S

Luke S - 2015-03-04

Doing this would take some changes in core code, or a custom Duplicate handling script. I don't see why this could not be done, it would just be a matter of scanning the object list just like the core command does, and watching for Parent>Child relationships while doing so.

• Kiro Neptosia

Kiro Neptosia - 2015-03-04

I was also thinking of making a script for that, if it can be done. I will look into the API.

• Pete

Pete - 2015-03-04

Idea for a new plugin? "Live duplicates with children".

The job sounds like:
    - Find the objects in the selection that don't have parents.
    - Use recursion to make new copies of the entire "child tree".
    - Including copying and reconnecting all animation tracks ... Don't know how far you can go with that, though, as there are quite a few different types of animation tracks and they may be connected to many different things ... Might get a little messy.

Last edit: Pete 2015-03-04
  • Pete

Pete - 2015-03-04

About API:

In LayoutWindow: getSelectedObjects() or getSelectedIndices() or getSelectionWithChildren(). The latter two produce only index numbers, so you'll have to get the Object(Info)s by getScene().getObject().

In ObjectInfo getParent() and getChildren().

Should get you started. :)

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2015-03-07

This sounds like a good change in any case. When possible, live
      duplicates should preserve the relationship.

Peter

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2015-03-08

Ok, the changes are checked in. Give it a try.

Peter