For some time "Art of Illusion" does not start properly anymore

Help
2019-11-20
2019-12-24
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • Pete

Pete - 2019-12-17

Let's try this one.

@Jean-Claude and Maksim and anybody with the start-up crash problem please copy the attached ArtoOfIllusion.jar to yourself and see if it works with GL-enabled in Preferences.

@Anybody without the problem: You are welcome to try it to check, that it works in a "non faulty" environment.

As I found out before, the remedies were inside the prepareBuffers() of GLCanvasDrawer but it took a moment to understand how to use those.

It turned out that gl.glVertexPointer() and gl.glNormalPointer() both need to be used once before rendering with GLCD. As 2D-drawing and transparent display mode don't need those, the result was a crash. To me it seems like a missing object error between GL and Nvidia.

Please post back, if it works, I'll then push a PR and hopefully we can get a "bug tackling version" officially out soon(ish). (This Nvidia update seems to be spreading with Windows 10 updates or something...)

PS: Could someone with sufficient rights clear my emptied posts above? :)
    EDIT: done. ljsails.

Last edit: Luke S 2019-12-22
    • Maksim Khramov

Maksim Khramov - 2019-12-22

See no crash with this patch.

• Luke S

Luke S - 2019-12-22

I'm going to try to do a bit of a review of outstanding stuff in the next day or so... hopefulky get this merged, and perhaps cut a 3.1.1 beta.

• Pete

Pete - 2019-12-23

-removed-

Last edit: Pete 2019-12-23
  • Pete

Pete - 2019-12-23

I already "by mis-paid attention" replied to an e-mail nofication. Whether it comes through or not, remains to be seen... (edit: it did. above.) But to business:

PR opened for this. I think I'll also write a bug report to the address, that was mentioned in the error file. They have a reporting system that looked pretty good to me.

Last edit: Pete 2019-12-23
  • steve dassin

steve dassin - 2019-12-24

Thank you Pete!! Santa came early.
    Last nite 12/22/19 suddenly the aoi splash screen appeared and then aoi crashed.
    I installed the lastest jvm(v231), uninstalled aoi and reinstalled it. Nothing helped.
    That nite I did receive 2 ms updates targeted to windows defender(but who knows
    what else it did). The new ArtOfIllusion.jar seems to have fixed whatever the problem
    was. Aoi seems to be functioning normally. OpenGL is enabled in preferences.
    Thanks so much for allowing me to get back to my aoi!
    stephen

• Pete

Pete - 2019-12-24

Posted a crash report to http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp

Now they know all I know. Included GitHub site, AoI.org, GLCanvasDrawer.java, one error file, the #144 pull request and this discussion.

I'm not expecting any response soon, if ever. After all it seems to take a specific combination of JOGL, Win10 and NVIDIA to get it reproduced and I can not pinpoint it. (The GL-calls are pretty clear to identify though.)

Last edit: Pete 2019-12-24
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)