Windows Vista/ 7 "Protocol error&...

xrdp
Anonymous
2009-11-11
2013-06-05
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2009-11-11

Hi evertyone

I've found a workaround for that issue. You need to download an older version of Remote Desktop Client. Just follow the steps below…

1. Download this version from Microsoft
    "Windows XP Remote Desktop Connection software " from this link:

2. Open the file with 7-Zip Filemanager

3. Extract the file "msrdpcli.msi" and open it with 7-Zip Filemanager

4. Extract the file "data.cab" and open it with 7-Zip Filemanager

5. Extract the three files `"F1060_mstsc.exe"` `"F1059_mstscax.dll"` and optional `"F1061_mstsc.chm"` to a new folder (e.g. on the Desktop)

6. Rename `"F1060_mstsc.exe"`  to `"rdp.exe"` to avoid conflicts with the original mstsc.exe

7. Rename `"F1059_mstscax.dll"` to `"mstscax.dll"`

8. Rename `"F1061_mstsc.chm"` to `"mstsc.chm"`

9. You are done. Run rdp.exe from the folder you created and it will work.

: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=80111f21-d48d-426e-96c2-08aa2bd23a49&DisplayLang=en

• David

David - 2010-06-02

Great work!

I decided to run the Remote Desktop Client under Windows Virtual PC, and it worked perfectly.   Thanks for helping me figure this out. 

• Nelson Rocha

Nelson Rocha - 2010-11-23

@injk Man: You rock! This info was just what I needed!
    Windows 7 is now playing nice with xrdp.
    Thank you for posting!

• nicolar

nicolar - 2010-11-24

Latest git version works with the shipped Win7 rdp client. You don't need anymore older ms rdp client versions…

• rolltidega

rolltidega - 2011-01-19

Hey nicolar, what is the latest git version?  I downloaded and installed the latest xrdp and install it.  I still get the protocol error.

• Itamar Reis Peixoto

what are your linux distro ?

I have packaged it for fedora, centos and redhat enterprise.

• rolltidega

rolltidega - 2011-01-19

CentOS.  The one you have packaged, is it the latest version?

• TalkToTheHand

TalkToTheHand - 2011-01-27

I get "Because of a security error, the client could not connect to the remote computer…" when connecting to a Ubuntu 10.04 Server LTS install using the apt-get version of xrdp even with the XP client mentioned in this post.  Is there a log somewhere I can look at for error messages?

'man xrdp' says there is a log at '/var/log/xrdp.log' but no such file exists.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-03-10

I'm on version 3.1 the version that is down-loadable. I am unable to connect with the "Protocol error" on Windows 7 x64 and I also tried my xp sp3 vm, same error. I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 and hope someone can point me to an easy to install update, I'm a windows user for the most part but am learning Linux - well actually re-learning it.

• swhite

swhite - 2011-07-23

rollidega,
    What Centos and RHEL versions do you have it packaged for?

I got it working on Ubuntu 10, RHEL 5 and SLES 10 no problem.  But I had the devil of a time getting it to work on RHEL3!  Kept hitting this "protocol error, disconnecting". 

So (as suggested), pulled the latest GIT version and built. Which created more difficulties.  As you know, starting in xrdp 0.5.0, they siwtched to autotool to build. 

More importantly, RHEL3's X11 is based on XFree86, while RHEL4 (& following) is based on X.org's X11.  So in the available RPMs for RHEL3, there is not available libX11-devel or libXfixes-devel.

The first is not a big deal, all the content is there - just XFree86-based, instead of x11-xorg based.  so the pkg-config x11.pc file isn't there, you have to explicitly set your CFLAGS and LFLAGS.

libXfixes-devel is a bigger deall, there is no RHEL3 equivalent content.  So generating that content is a hassle.  It seems to be working now, however.

I was curious if you'd packaged it for RHEL3 already, and if so, what approach you took.