GNU Cobol (formerly OpenCOBOL) is a free COBOL compiler. cobc translates COBOL to executable using intermediate C sources, providing full access to nearly all C libraries.
OpenCOBOL 1.1 continues on as GNU Cobol 1.1
Officially posted to ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnucobol, also available here.
Please see http://sourceforge.net/p/open-cobol/wiki/COBOL%20acknowledgement
A superb manual by Gary Cutler, along with a FAQ / How-To, and other documentation is indexed at http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/guides
Copyright (C) 2001-2009 Keisuke Nishida
Copyright (C) 2007-2012 Roger While
As above, GNU Cobol is also authored by Simon Sobisch, Sergey Kashyrin, Joe Robbins, Ron Norman
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version.
The libcob run time support source tree is LGPL.
- A nicely complete implementation of COBOL with nearly seamless C integration
- Over 9700 NIST COBOL 85 test suite tests passed
- Direct access to almost all C libraries, and a branched C++ version exists
- Compiler built with GNU Autotools, also successfully builds with LLVM clang
- CGI capable and desktop ready, GTK+ screens have been demonstrated
- EXEC SQL preprocessors available for PostgreSQL, Firebird, ODBC, DB2
- REPORT SECTION, SCREEN SECTION, FUNCTION-ID support
Great job. Great job. Only need an integrated IDE and possibility of GUI more easily !!!!!!
COBOL is my standard programming language again. Access to sql is not needed for COBOL with its available indexed sequential file format with multiple keys. This version is totally COBOL 85 compliant except for the optional REPORT WRITER feature. Many features from later versions of COBOL have been added as well.
Great job. Please consider moving to github or bitbucket. SF is not king anymore and for a long time...