WHAT IS ExTiX 15.3 64 bit - two versions?
ABOUT BOTH VERSIONS - 150810
ExTiX Linux Live DVD's 64 bit are based on Debian "Jessie"/Ubuntu 15.04. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Unity (Ubuntu). After removing Unity I have installed LXQt 0.9.0 (in ExTiX 15.3, build 150808) and KDE 4.14.12 together with KDE Frameworks 5.9.0 in an extra version of 150810. "LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment". "KDE Frameworks are 60 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms".
The system language is ENGLISH.
NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 15.3 build 150808 and 150810 - two versions - LXQt or KDE Desktop environments
1. ExTiX (both versions) are now based on Ubuntu 15.04 "Vivid Vervet". LXQt 0.9.0 (not in Ubuntu's repositories) or KDE 4.14.12 with KDE Frameworks are used as Desktop environments. All packages have been updated to the latest version by 150808 respectively 150810. Kernel 4.1.0-exton is used. (Kernel.org's kernel 4.1.3).
2. Google Chrome is used as Web Browser, which makes it possible to watch Netflix movies. It is not possible in Firefox (in Linux). Both Firefox and Chrome are installed in the KDE version.
3. I have also installed BlueGriffon Web Editor. "BlueGriffon is a new WYSIWYG content editor for the World Wide Web. Powered by Gecko, the rendering engine of Firefox, it's a modern and robust solution to edit Web pages in conformance to the latest Web Standards". Only to be compared with Dreamweaver. (In my opinion).
4. Other included important/useful packages are: LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Brasero, SMPlayer, GCC and other compilation tools so that you can install packages from source. Furthermore "all" multimedia codecs. Everything the average Linux user could wish for I would say.
5. I have also installed Nvidia Graphic driver 352.30 in the LXQt version. It has support for the following GPUs: GeForce 800A, GeForce 800M, GeForce GTX 970M and GeForce GTX 980M. This driver will be used automatically if your card is supported. NOTE: One reason for me to abandon Gnome 3.14 (which was used in the previous version of ExtiX) is that Gnome 3.14 won't run together with Nvidia's proprietary drivers.
WHAT'S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new versions from 150810 and 150808?
1. The ExTiX ISO's are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can then even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence! I've found two scripts which make the installation to USB very simple. My tests show that they work flawlessly on USB installations of all normal Ubuntu systems.
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You'll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. ExTiX is now more stable than ever.
4. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.
My special kernel 4.1.0-3-exton corresponding Kernel.org's kernel 4.1.3 - in both versions of ExTiX.
LOG IN to LXQt repectively KDE
You can run ExTiX live as the ordinary user extix or as root (super user). Log in from Slim's Login Manager as root with password root or as extix with no password. During a hard drive installation you will of course get the opportunity to create your own normal user.
Read my instruction: http://www.extix.se/extix-usb-persistent/
Read more about ExTiX 15.3 64 bit Linux Live DVD's: http://www.extix.se