Menu

Rotating tablet gives strange results U11.04

Help
Arsenal
2011-05-09
2013-03-05
  • Arsenal

Arsenal - 2011-05-09

This problem came up with the latest Ubuntu version. I don't have much insight in how Xournal gets the coordinates of the stylus using Xinput, but there seems to be something wrong.

If I rotate my screen and tablet (Lenovo X61 tablet) to the right or left, writing something in Xournal will give some strange offset which also seems to depend on the position, so on the left edge, the offset is just downwards, moving to the right the offset is also shifted to the right. The actual stylus point is displayed correctly under my pen. I don't know if you get what I mean, it's a bit hard to describe.

As soon as I switch off the Xinput option this behaviour is fixed, so something seems to be strange there. I reset my calibration, but the behaviour is the same.

Maybe I can create a screenshot or something which explains the problem better than my words.

• Denis Auroux

Denis Auroux - 2011-05-10

Did you rotate the screen *after* starting up xournal? You should close xournal and restart it *after* rotating the display.

The issue is that GTK+ applications have no easy way of knowing that the display has been rotated, and GTK+ fails to update the calibration of extended input devices. Xournal uses some heuristics that will work in limited cases (single display, standard calibration, no axis flipping in the device, 1:1 pixel aspect ratio), but not in general.

Let me know if starting xournal after the display has been rotated fixes the issue. (Hoping it does, and sorry for the inconvenience.)

Denis

• Arsenal

Arsenal - 2011-05-12

Thank you, rotating my screen first fixed the problem. I wasn't aware of that problem, in the past versions of Ubuntu I had no problem with rotating my screen while Xournal was running.

It's a bit strange though that the desktop has no problem with the rotation. But now I know how to handle it and everything is fine.