Andrei
2015-05-21
2015-07-30
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • Andrei

Andrei - 2015-05-27

I renamed the folder to "devkit" and uploaded two staged files:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/trigger-rally/files/devkit/

I created a support ticket to ask about non-release files (it would be silly to have the files I uploaded appear as the "latest version" of TR) but seeing how dead the support area is I think we're on our own.

https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/10390/

Now I'll proceed with updating the SVN.

• Andrei

Andrei - 2015-05-27

SVN update complete.

EDIT: new car removed.

Last edit: Andrei 2015-05-27
  • Andrei

Andrei - 2015-05-27

I would add background images to your list.

As for me I'll focus on reformatting the code, as discussed in another thread (Allman 4-space tabs, "proper" GNU GPL 2 intro), unless you have a reason against me doing so.

After this is done I'll return to actually adding features.

• qubodup

qubodup - 2015-05-27
    As for me I'll focus on reformatting the code, as discussed in another thread (Allman 4-space tabs, "proper" GNU GPL 2 intro), unless you have a reason against me doing so.

No objections.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2015-07-12

Today I compiled the game from revision 210 and the game doesn't accept any key commands beside escape and return any more. This makes the game unusable to me since I usually use the keyboard to play the game. Could that problem be a side effect of you trying to fix the camera buttons?

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2015-07-12
  • Andrei

Andrei - 2015-07-12

Onsemeliot, it seems to me that you didn't delete/update your configuration file, found in your home folder:

~/.trigger-rally/trigger-rally.config

Be sure its control section uses ID's:

<keyboard enable="yes">
        <key action="forward" id="SDLK_UP" />
        <key action="back" id="SDLK_DOWN" />
        <key action="left" id="SDLK_LEFT" />
        <key action="right" id="SDLK_RIGHT" />
        <key action="handbrake" id="SDLK_SPACE" />
        <key action="recover" id="SDLK_r" />
        <key action="cammode" id="SDLK_c" />
        <key action="camleft" id="SDLK_PERIOD" />
        <key action="camright" id="SDLK_COMMA" />
        <key action="showmap" id="SDLK_m" />
        <key action="showui" id="SDLK_n" />
    </keyboard>

Last edit: Andrei 2015-07-12
  • Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2015-07-12

Great, this was it. I didn't know that I would have to change that. - And hiding the OCD works flawlessly also. :)

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2015-07-13

Oh, I just saw I probably shouldn't have committed my new car versions since Iwan had objections in the past. Of course we can remove them again for the time being.

But if we should wait for all of us to agree we should at least agree on a common process to do so since at least Iwan quite often doesn't seem to be reachable for longer periods of time. And it's discouraging to wait until all of us are responding since this could take an unforseeable amount of time.

I started to write this post just to inform you about my last commit: I noticed the "Morton Contributor" lied lower on the street on one side. I fixed that in revision 215.

Andrei, could you be so kind to share what you have learned from tweaking the "SuperEvo" .vehicle file? There are many values and I don't necessarily want to try out everything myself if you do understand the effects of all the different attributes already. We could put together something like the map reference for tweaking cars.

By the way: I will update the map reference for the new scaling property of vegetation sprites.

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2015-07-13
  • Andrei

Andrei - 2015-07-13

Oh, I just saw I probably shouldn't have committed my new car versions since Iwan had objections in the past. Of course we can remove them again for the time being.

I don't remember Iwan's reasons for not wanting new cars; I don't think he ever gave them. I rolled back the SuperEvo commit without a fuss because it was nothing more than a test car that was never intended to make it into the official release anyway -- at least not in its current state.

Andrei, could you be so kind to share what you have learned from tweaking the "SuperEvo" .vehicle file?

Disappointingly, I have nothing interesting to share. I simply tweaked the values in a trial-and-error fashion to make the car as powerful yet stable as possible (greater mass, stiffer and lower suspension, stronger brakes) but I failed. The car is indeed very stable on perfectly flat surfaces (doesn't roll over), but remains very twitchy. While on bumpy surfaces it's not stable at all.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2015-07-13

I simply tweaked the values in a trial-and-error fashion to make the car as powerful yet stable as possible (...) but I failed.

I don't think so. It's just that with high speeds you of course end up having problems in an uneven terrain.

Ok, then I will try to discover all the attributes effects myself.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2015-07-27

Hi Andrei,

I just wanted to grap your newest code changes from the SVN but ended up with the following output:

svn: E155017: Checksum mismatch for '.../trigger-rally-code/src/Trigger/render.cpp':
    expected: d951397b44e1b08ba8f76acdd6384b3c
    recorded: 08257a00240cd869a34b3aa4f4185700

I'm not sure how to react to this.

• Andrei

Andrei - 2015-07-27

There are no problems here on my side.

I suggest that you deactivate and completely remove your local repository, then do a full checkout again. Or for simplicity do a full checkout to a new folder and ignore the old one.

Unfortunately I can't give you more detailed instructions because I use TortoiseSVN on Windows and I don't need to type in SVN commands as it is a GUI program. (To test, I just did a full checkout of Trigger Rally and everything works fine.)

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2015-07-27

I suggest that you deactivate and completely remove your local repository, then do a full checkout again.

Ok, this was a good suggestion. Now it seems to work again. I hope I don't have to do that each time when I want to pull a new revision from now on.

Now the outlined font is only used in the credits, right? The menu looks a little "softer" with the shadowed font. I feel this makes it a little more distinguished.

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2015-07-27
  • Andrei

Andrei - 2015-07-27

Now the outlined font is only used in the credits, right?

No, the outlined font is also used in-game. The shadowed font is only used in the menu.

The menu looks a little "softer" with the shadowed font. I feel this makes it a little more distinguished.

This is just an experiment, and I think we'll revert to the outlined font in the end. Currently the menu only supports one font for all text.

Personally I'm not very happy with the current appearance: I really like the shadowed font used in big text, but smaller text such as the race list looks blurred and lazy. I also don't like the current menu text colors. Suggestions?

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2015-07-27

I also don't like the current menu text colors. Suggestions?

Well, this very much depends on the background image since readability is the most important aspect in my opinion.

I would rather work with transparency than with many colors. On rollover the text should have maximum contrast and before it should be somewhat faint.

What I have used so far is the splash image attached, but I'm not sure if it's good enough. It's quite dark. Therefore it is a good contrast to the over all white menu text.

By the way: There is a little grey dash on the bottom of the icon overlaying the splash screen.

Is there a particular reason why the car selection screen still has a black background and no menu at all?

• Andrei

Andrei - 2015-07-27

What I have used so far is the splash image attached, but I'm not sure if it's good enough. It's quite dark. Therefore it is a good contrast to the over all white menu text.

Your splash background is better than the current one due to the softness, and the shadowed text looks better on it.

By the way: There is a little grey dash on the bottom of the icon overlaying the splash screen.

I am not seeing this, please provide screenshot. Attaching my own screenshot...

Is there a particular reason why the car selection screen still has a black background and no menu at all?

The car selection phase is separate from the menu.

• Andrei

Andrei - 2015-07-27

Wait, at native resolution I see the artifact as well.
    I don't know why it shows, probably a texture imperfection or OpenGL blending quirk. I do know that I used your "trigger-256.png" file unmodified.

Anyway, that logo is just a temporary file that I'd like you to replace. Preferably with a the same red car but with a text that reads "Loading..." instead of "Trigger".

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2015-07-27

The racing car in the attaced file comes directly from the SVG source.

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2015-07-27
  • Andrei

Andrei - 2015-07-28

Right now I'm not sure which one makes more sense. The "Loading" version is more bland than I thought. Should we stick to the "Trigger" version?

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2015-07-28

Maybe this is better?

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2015-07-28
  • Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2015-07-30

I just committed a massive bulk of changes:

1. all races have screenshots, minimaps and descriptions now
    2. harmonised naming conventions of map files and plugins
    3. rscup, some maps and all new vehicles moved into the plugin directory (for now - maybe we will remove it from the standard installation all together)
    4. added local texture files to the standard texture folder
    5. added an other adapted version of the loading icon
    6. optimised the Morton texture
    7. added a new map/race called "ripe"

I hope I didn't forget to mention any other changes.

I noticed starting reaces doesn't work on my system any more. I guess this was caused when I included revision 249 when I updated my copy after uploading revision 250.

• Andrei

Andrei - 2015-07-30

Good work with the screenshots and minimaps! Seems like release 0.6.3 is one step closer.

About the new Ripe map, I noticed that the "m.png" and "mm.png" files aren't used. Good effort though, I see you're experimenting with trees.

Also good work with reorganizing the plugins: note however that the plugin cars don't load. The reason is that they are packed inside a folder named "vehicle" instead of "vehicles". Also for legal reasons we should reskin the SuperEvo before adding it as a plugin. (I also intend to further improve the SuperEvo again in the future.)

As for the new loading logo, I suggest you add a white outline to the black "Trigger Rally" text, just like you did for the original Linux icon.

I noticed starting reaces doesn't work on my system any more.

No problems for me. Is there a map in particular which doesn't load? Also paste the program log if you keep having this problem.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2015-07-30

I just repaired the broken path in the plugin-vehicles and removed the superevo. Next I will remove the useless image files from the ripe map and work on the loading icon again.

The problem with loading any map was obviously caused by the broken vehicle path.

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2015-07-30
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)