Menu

Conflict resolution by create_time of the sym_data table

Help
EmirLima
2015-03-05
2015-04-04
  • EmirLima

EmirLima - 2015-03-05

In my scenario I have 1 Master node and multiple client nodes.

Some tables, such as 'customer', are constantly handled by all the nodes (both master and clients) and they need to be always synced.

I have noticed that the prevalence of updates on the same row by two different nodes in close moments obay always a fixed order.

Example 1:

Node 2 updates a customer name to "A" at 10:25:00
    Node 3 updates the same customer to "B" at 10:25:01

Result: All nodes with the "A" value.

Example 2:

Node 3 updates a customer name to "C" at 10:25:00
    Node 2 updates the same customer to "D" at 10:25:01

Result: All nodes with the "D" value.

In every conflict betweem Node 2 and Node 3, the Node 2 always win, independently of the time the updates happened.

Is there a way to tell symmetric to choose the most recent update considering the time in the 'create_time' of the 'sym_data' table?

• Chris Henson

Chris Henson - 2015-03-07

sym_data.create_time isn't passed along to the client. The best you could probably do is add a create_time column at your server and use external_select on sym_trigger to populated sym_data.external_data. This could be referenced in an extract transform to get the create_time. Not that simple.

• EmirLima

EmirLima - 2015-03-16

I tried this:
    - Add a column 'last_update_time' in my table
    - Set up a conflict with USE_TIMESTAMP, NEWER_WINS, RESOLVE_CHANGES_ONLY for this column

When two nodes updates the same column in the same row, the conflict is resolved by the last update, as I wanted.

The problem now is when two nodes updates different columns in the same row. The Symmetric should not be identifying this situation as a conflict but simply merge the two updates. But it's overwriting all the row by the last update.

The RESOLVE_CHANGES_ONLY flag doesn't act this way?

• Chris Henson

Chris Henson - 2015-04-04

It looks like that should work. Is maybe the capture of old_data turned off?