Menu

user interface?

2010-10-06
2013-04-18
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Silly question.  I downloaded the Staden Package and have a long list of files but can not find an executable program or how to run the user interface.  How do I run the program?

thanks, marc

• Torsten Seemann

Torsten Seemann - 2010-10-07

1. The current version 2.0b7 of Staden is source only, you have to compile it to get executables (easier said than done).

2. Staden is a set of programs, not a single program. Which task do you want to do?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have the same problem.
    I want to do "gap4".

Thanks so much in advance
    Fernando

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi Torst,
      thank you much in advance.
      I want to use pregap4, gap4 and clustalX, but likely others.  I am just getting started with Staden and will use more as I learn more.  Do I compile all or just what I want?  How to compile?

thanks,
          marc

• Andrew Whitwham

Andrew Whitwham - 2010-10-07

Hi Marc,

There is a file called README.build which has an overview of the steps needed to build the Staden Package.  Depending on your level of experience in building open source software it may or may not be of help.

Can you tell me what operating system you want to build the Staden Package on?

regards,

Andrew

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi Andrew,
       I would like to build the Staden on my Mac OS X version 10.6.
       I will check out the READ me file and see if I can follow it.

thanks,
        marc

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hello,
         The README file has Unix build - 5th March 2010 and Windows build 1st July 2004.  Do these builds work for Mac OS X?
         Is there any chance to download a compiled, ready to go version of Staden?

thank you much for your time,
                  marc

• James Bonfield

James Bonfield - 2010-10-11

The Windows README is most definitely out of date. MacOS X I'm unsure about.

Version 2.0.0b6 (https://sourceforge.net/projects/staden/files/staden/2.0.0b6/) had binaries distributed too for linux, but not other OSes.  Obviously there are some bugs in it that got fixed with 2.0.0b7 (and probably some new ones that arrived with that too), but it may be of use if you cannot get it to compile out of the box.

• James Bonfield

James Bonfield - 2010-10-11

Ah I forgot to add:

If all you want is Gap4, just use one of the 1.7.0 distribution files. They exists for 32-bit and 64-bit linux, Windows, and MacOS X on intel platforms. There's been very little gap4 development since then as our work has been on Gap5 mostly.