Menu

Error Creating a 7-Zip Archive on a Fully-Encrypted Drive

Help
B Y
2014-12-04
2014-12-04
  • B Y

B Y - 2014-12-04

Hi, I would like to report an issue I've been experiencing for some time now (> 2 years). I hope I'm not duplicating the issue in doing so.

When I create a 7-Zip archive that is very large in size (>10GB, >500,000 files) on an encrypted hard disk, I somehow get a number of errors at the end of the archiving process. I'm using 7-Zip (9.20) in command line on Ubuntu to archive these files. The exact same process works just fine when the hard drive is not encrypted.

This issue has been happening at least since Ubuntu 12.04 and currently on 14.04. Because I rely on 7-Zip to regularly backup my Zotero collection, I therefore cannot encrypt my hard drive. But I'm just wondering why this is happening and if there is any way I can resolve this issue. Thanks in advance!

Last edit: B Y 2014-12-04
  • Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-12-04

What exact errors?
    What encryption do you use?

Try to google: your "encryption program", big files, your errors.

• B Y

B Y - 2014-12-04

The result output that is displayed at the end of the archiving process shows a number of errors that occured during the process. With regards to encryption, the tools that are used by Ubuntu are "eCryptfs", "dm-crypt", and "LUKS". I'm just wondering if this is a known issue and if there is a solution. I can't find anything related to encryption on this matter.