• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-12-26

7-Zip 9.36 beta was released.

You can download 7-Zip 9.36 beta from SourceForge site:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/9.36/

What's new after 7-Zip 9.35 beta:

• The BUG in command line version was fixed:
      7-Zip created temporary archive in current folder during update archive
      operation, if -w{Path} switch was not specified.
      The fixed 7-Zip creates temporary archive in folder that contains updated archive.
    • The BUG in 9.33-9.35 was fixed:
      7-Zip silently ignored file reading errors during 7z or gz archive creation,
      and the created archive contained only part of file that was read before error.
      The fixed 7-Zip stops archive creation and it reports about error.
    • Some bugs were fixed.

• troubada

troubada - 2014-12-27

Hi Igor,

1. I noticed when installing 7-zip 9.36 on Win7 x64, the .7z format is not automatically associated with 7-zip (.7z files have no association). I used the x64 msi installer. I appreciate the program not aggressively taking over all archive formats by default, but I would expect the .7z format to be associated by default.

2. When I manually set the association (from 7-Zip Manager) I noticed the .7z icon is now different (looks like yellow folder with '7' pasted on it. Is that correct?

3. Thanks :)

• Mario Rohkrämer

I'm not Igor, but...

1. Yes, the installer usually did not associate the file types automatically, I had to apply this manually already in the last several versions.

2. Yes, the extension dependent icons look like "compressed folders" with specific flags. If you associate other formats to 7zip, they will each have their own specific icon as well, like [zip] or [arj] or [rar] or [gz] instead of [7z].

3. Yes, dito, thank you for continuing development.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-12-26

Some additional notes.

The BUG with folder for temporary archive in command line version is old BUG (probably from versions 4.*).
    If you see any new problems with that fixed code, please write here.

The GUI version uses another code to select temporary archive folder, if "Add to Archive" dialog is used. It uses settings from Options / Folders.

• Byron Taz

Byron Taz - 2014-12-26

Thanks Igor for all the hard work. A few questions though. Is there a reason that you are changing the version number, and not the beta number (9.36 Beta 1, 9.36 Beta 2, etc)?
    Next questions are you planning to do anything about the memory usage in future versions. I posted before (9.34 I think) about how I can only use 3 of my 8 cores because of the memory usage. Could future versions use page/virtual memory instead of physical memory? Final question, have you thought about a password keeper/manager?
    Now to a problem. If you use a password and encrypt the file names: 7-zip will not show the file names, but when I use JDownloader to download my files it will try to open them with WinRAR and I see that my folder name/files is exposed. It does not extract them without a password, but shows empty folders.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-12-26

1) I don't use same numbers for different statuses: alpha/beta/release.
      2) Just reduce dictionary size. It will reduce memory usage.
      3) If names are encrypted, then you can't get them without correct password.

• VictorVG

VictorVG - 2014-12-26

Big thanks! Use the well and at the same time allow me to congratulate you on the coming New Year and Christmas and wish you happiness, health and success.

• RBL

RBL - 2014-12-27

Is it OK to report a bug in the latest beta here? if not, please advise where I should report it. Thanks!

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-12-27

If it's new bug, you can write here.
      If other versions also contain that bug, write to Tickets/Bugs.

• atplsx

atplsx - 2014-12-27

Dear Igor
    please please please RAR5 support.

• Barough

Barough - 2014-12-27

I 2nd that. RAR5 extraction support is what's really missing in the newer 7-Zip version. RAR5 archive gets more and more common these days and having 1 extra archiver installed just 2 be able 2 extract RAR5 archives is really sad since this 7-Zip is a really good archiver. IMO so would it become a gr8 archiver when RAR5 support is added.

• LeRaldo

LeRaldo - 2014-12-28

I am also hoping for RAR5 extraction support in 7-Zip.

• thexfile

thexfile - 2014-12-29

Probably should let Igor fix old bugs first, before jumping into new bugs.

• RejZoR

RejZoR - 2014-12-27

Not even sure why people would bother with RAR5 format when 7z is still superior. Every single thing I've compressed, 7z was equaly fast if not faster and with quite hefty space saving difference. And it's imo the most widely supported format for creation and extraction. Where RAR5 only has a mediocre extraction support and no creation since it's proprietary. So, using only 7z is really the only reasonable thing to do.

• Ryan Clemens

Ryan Clemens - 2014-12-28

Why increase the version number? Should've just been 9.35 beta 2.
    Conventional versioning works well.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-12-28

two numbers 9.36 are simpler than three numbers: 9.35.2

• Nicky

Nicky - 2014-12-28

Hi Igor,
    after using 9.20 for years, I now tried 9.36 because of this problem: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/unable-to-view-pictures-in-archive-with-7-zip/

Can you say something about it? Hope you can fix this with a future version.
    [I tested with 9.36 on Win7 (x64)]

Last edit: Nicky 2014-12-28
  • Ł. M. P. P.

Ł. M. P. P. - 2014-12-29

I would like to update language file, but despite some effort and experimentation, I was unable to locate some of the texts within the program. A few of them are somewhat unclear to me.

Aux?
    Is Tree?
    Embedded Stub Size?
    Is not archive?
    Tail size - I guess it corresponds to TAIL command in Unix.
    SubType? - Should it be translated?

I cannot locate following lines:
    Alternate Stream
    Error Type
    Errors[1]
    Warning
    Alternate Streams
    Alternate Streams Size
    Unpack Size
    Total Physical Size
    Short Comment
    Unsupported compression method
    CRC failed
    Unavailable data
    Unexpected end of data
    Headers Error -> (BTW - why plural)
    Unavailable start of archive
    Unconfirmed start of archive
    Unsupported feature

I assume that some of the lines about various error messages are used when running test on defective archive. What about alternate streams? Are these lines used for WIM images containing them? I yes, can somebody upload such archive for testing purpose?

Some things could be changed:
    Link -> OK
    Link from: -> Origin:
    Link to: -> Target:

Also, why file names of language files do not match naming convention used in newer versions of Windows, eg. BG-BG, CS-CZ, DA-DK, DE-DE, EL-GR, ES-ES, FR-FR, SR-Latn-CS, PT-BR, PT-PT...

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-12-29

1) short names for files are smaller and simpler. I use these names many years. No reasons to change it now.

2) you can create alternate stream

dir > 1.txt:substream.txt

then you can create wim file with alternate stream.
    or call:

7zG.exe h 1.txt -sns

if you don't know the meaning of some line, you can download
    source code and look where it's used.

And 7-Zip doesn't show some lines now.

To check errors lines:
    create bad archive:

copy /b 2.7z + 1.txt bad.7z

and open/extract bad.7z.
    You can remove some data from the end of archive (zip, gz or bzip2) with split command to check another error messages.

• blakeniel

blakeniel - 2014-12-29

Thank you Igor for the latest release and thank you for keeping this project alive. The best archiver there is no doubt.
    I wish you a Happy New Year!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-12-29

Hello. The error "An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers" that was reported in 9.35 beta and 9.34 alpha is still occurring. Any chance you can get this fixed, soon? It seems to be a harmless error as the settings still apply. Running Windows 7 64-bit with 7-zip x64 build.

Last edit: Anonymous 2014-12-29
  • signalman

signalman - 2014-12-30

Hi Igor.
    Strange, but some txt files are compressed 7-zip format zip worse than, for example, winrar.. This is observed with an increase in the size of the txt file (at a rate of 400 Mbyte is already visible).
    Approximate contents of the file:
    00-01-ls-0707.txt;(37);Echo control information;(08);
    00-01-ls-0707.txt;(2e);Access delivery information;(00);
    00-01-ls-0707.txt;(39);Parameter compatibility information;(04,2e, c0,37, c0);
    00-01-ls-0707.txt;(37);Echo control information;(08);
    00-01-ls-0707.txt;(11);Backward call indicators;(16,34);
    00-01-ls-0707.txt;(39);Parameter compatibility information;(02,37, c0);
    etc.
    Command line parameters:
    7z.exe a -tzip 0707-p-d32-128-2.zip 0707-p.txt -mx = 9 -mfb = 128 -mpass = 2

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-12-30

just use -mfb=256 for zip or 7z format:
    a.zip -mfb=256
    a.7z -mfb=256
    Another switches probably are not required. It will be slow with several passes.

bzip2 and ppmd:o32 are also pretty good for that file, but lzma:fb256 is better and faster for decompression.

Last edit: Igor Pavlov 2014-12-30
  • yaru

yaru - 2014-12-30

Hi, I'm not sure since which version this has been happening but when I open an archive with v9.36 and then choose the "Test" option from the toolbar, after the test is done, 7-zip only outputs a message that includes the number of folders and files and total size but nothing about whether any errors were detected or not but testing the same archive using the test option from context menu outputs a complete message. Is this intended behavior?

Last edit: yaru 2014-12-30
  • Ł. M. P. P.

Ł. M. P. P. - 2014-12-30

OK, thank you for previous information. But could you explain the meaning of these 5 lines below? The only thing that Google returns for "Aux" relates to AUX audio outlet. ;-)

Aux?
    Is Tree?
    Embedded Stub Size?
    Tail size - I guess it corresponds to TAIL command in Unix.
    SubType? - Should it be translated?

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)