Menu

zip -> 7z on the fly?

2004-04-15
2012-12-08
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Is it possible to create a 7z file from a zip file on the fly, without first extracting everything to hard disk? The other way (7z -> zip) should be possible too.
    If this does not require a lot of coding, I would give it a try.

This is what I would use it for: a lot of huge games distribute quite a lot of zip files in them (renamed to pak, e.g. Far Cry has 2,72 GB of such files). When compressing FarCry, 7z could repack the .pak files as zip, and when decompressing recreate the zip files again. Of course this zip files will not be identical to the original ones, but in this case it does not matter. What matters is that compression would be a lot better.

• Xinok

Xinok - 2004-04-15

To convert anything to anything first requires it to be converted to raw data, aka uncompressing it first, then recompressing it with the output system.
      Certain things might already be uncompressed so that you don't have to convert it.

• Nobody/Anonymous

i know, but if the encoder/decoders are stream based, it would work in the unix way:
        cat test.tar.gz | gzip -d |bzip2 >test.tar.bz2
        this decompresses a gz file, and recompresses it into a bz2 file without needing to store the uncompressed data onto the hard disk.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Repacking archived files I think is a great idea, though I am not much concerned with how much disk space the decompressed files take up.  Nearly every installer for Windows comes with .cab or .zip files.  Those made for distribution via CD often have a minimal compression ratio to speed up installation from fast media.

• Nobody/Anonymous

such a convertion would be a really useful featue
      the best would be batch convertion by gui
      so i could shrink my down.loaded files in a few minutes by a lot of MB

• Stepho

Stepho - 2005-03-18

>> cat test.tar.gz | gzip -d |bzip2 >test.tar.bz2
      Using 7zip, you can do this too :

7za x -so archive.zip | 7za a -si archive.7z

But of course, it works if you have only ONE file in the archive, as the extracted data is 1 single stream.

• Nobody/Anonymous

There is already a program to open .PAK files, its called PakScape

--Sean

• Nobody/Anonymous

IZarc does these conversions on the right mouse button.

Cam

• Kid

Kid - 2005-03-23

Also PowerArchiver, which is regularly improved, has batch 7zip creation and converts selected archives to another supported format, like 7zip, with and without rightclick.
      PA features advanced GUI options that would be nice in 7zip later.