Menu

refind in virtualbox

brokenman
2014-09-10
2014-10-14
  • brokenman

brokenman - 2014-09-10

Maybe this has been covered but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I am trying to get rEFInd running in a virtualbox guest. I have created a UEFI ISO and attached this to the virtualbox. The rEFInd menu appears, the kernel loads but then it hangs with the message about loading the initrd. From what I can gather, the filesystem drivers are not functioning correctly. Is it virtualboxes own ISO-9660 driver causing this and the rEFInd version is not being loaded?

To test the theory I booted to a non UEFI virtual box guest. Once booted I formatted the virtual drive with an EFI partition and an ext2 partition. rEFInd resided on the ESP and my linux distro on the ext2 partition. Once again the kernel loaded, initrd loaded but hung when looking for the distro on the ext2 partition.

Perhaps Mr Smith didn't use virtualbox at all when developing/troubleshooting rEFInd in which case I take my hat off to you sir. If however, you did use virtualbox I would be grateful for any hints on getting a bootable OS. Thanks.

Last edit: brokenman 2014-09-10
  • brokenman

brokenman - 2014-09-13

Sorted. I forgot to compile EFI framebuffer into the kernel.

CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y
    CONFIG_EFI=y
    CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y
    CONFIG_EFI_MIXED is not set
    CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
    CONFIG_DMI_SCAN_MACHINE_NON_EFI_FALLBACK=y
    CONFIG_EFI_VARS=y
    CONFIG_EFIVAR_FS=m

Last edit: brokenman 2014-09-13
  • Roderick W. Smith

I take it from your second post that the problem is now solved. If I've misunderstood, then please elaborate.