Menu

loading rEFInd onto Mountain Lion 10.8.5

Roy
2014-12-03
2014-12-08
  • Roy

Roy - 2014-12-03

Although I know what a terminal is i am not fluent in every linux command, and am new to boot partitioning so please treat me as a "dummy".
    I have a late 2013 iMac 27'' (64 bit intel Core i5) 128GB fusion drive, 1TB HDD , NO dvd drive. Mountain Lion 10.8.5.
    My goal is to have dual boot OSX / Ubuntu under rEFInd's control. How can i achieve this. Note : I have clobbered OSX twice already.
    I read the webpage http://sourceforge.net/p/refind/discussion/general/thread/7bf6f4df/
    Following its advice I have done the following steps

1. Reinstalled OSX 10.8.5 from internet download
    2. Used OSX disk utility to cut the Macintosh HD in half.
    3. Booted to a Ubuntu 14.04 USB boot stick and created 4 partitions in expectation of installing said Ubuntu.
      I now have the following (diskutil list) setup

/dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme 121.3 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_CoreStorage 121.0 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3
    /dev/disk1
    0: GUID_partition_scheme
    1.0 TB disk1
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
    2: FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF 487.9 GB disk1s2
    3: Apple_HFS Boot OS X 650.0 MB disk1s3
    4: Apple_HFS REFIND 209.7 MB disk1s4
    5: Microsoft Basic Data UBUNTU_OS 21.5 GB disk1s5
    6: Linux Swap 8.6 GB disk1s6
    7: Microsoft Basic Data DATA 481.0 GB disk1s7
    /dev/disk2
    0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD *600.4 GB disk2

That webpage also advised to download and use the development install.sh as well as the (current) rEFInd download. Unfortunately i did not meet success.
    When I tried "install.sh --ownhfs /dev/disk1s4" previously I got invalid command
    so i tried "./install.sh --ownhfs /dev/disk1s4" and "sudo ./install.sh --ownhfs /dev/disk1s4"
    both failed with permission denied

Is the abovesaid webpage out of date ? Is there behavioural anomalies with OSX 10.8.5 ?
    Can rEFInd be installed on disk1s4 ? Should it be ? Can someone help ? If so please give specific instructions for dummies.

Note : I have not downloaded rEFInd or development install.sh yet

There appears to be much advice from other webpages. Such advice (simple install etc)
    does not cause rEFInd to come up upon reboot. I know response givers are offering valuable time and i wouldn't waste it but I am stuck.

Grateful for any response.

• Roderick W. Smith

When you download the install.sh script from the git repository, you need to either add execute permissions to install.sh (via chmod a+x install.sh) or precede the command by bash (as in sudo bash ./install.sh --ownhfs /dev/disk1s4).

That said, unless there's a specific bug you're trying to avoid, I recommend against using the development version from the git repository. The reason is in that word: development. What's in git is often newer than what's in the released .zip (and other package) files, but I do not guarantee that it's ready to be used. At any given moment it may contain experimental changes or debugging code that's present to help somebody with a site-specific problem.