Menu

rEFInd on OSX 0.8.7 : Windows "No bootable device"

n808
2015-06-01
2015-07-23
  • n808

n808 - 2015-06-01

I have had rEFInd working fine for ages (0.8.1), incl Yosemite, but decided to upgrade to 0.8.7. I have rEFInd on its own HFS partition. After the upgrade, it detects my OSX and Windows partition fine, but Windows boot results in "No bootable device" message. I am using the default new refind.conf and ./install.sh --ownhfs {device-file} script to install - without errors.

Any ideas where to start looking?

EDIT: Then I tried removing /Volumes/rEFInd and a clean install, with same options, but then rEFInd cannot find my OSX partition to boot to, and I had to use Recovery mode to set the OSX partition as the Startup partition. This was resolved by commenting dont_scan_volumes line and removed the "Recovery HD" from that line.

EDIT2: I am also getting the same error "No bootable device" setting the Startup disk to Windows from OSX System Preferences.

Last edit: n808 2015-06-01
    • Gjeme Markaj

Gjeme Markaj - 2015-07-23

I'm having a similar problem, can you tell me what you did to fix this?

I had a dual boot setup using OSX/Win7, all was working fine. I installed refind, added another partition and installed Linux on the new partition. When the machine boots, refind launches, shows me all 3 OSs. I can boot OSX & Linux, but now, it cannot find Win7. I get "operating system not found" only for Win7. When I'm using OSX, I can see the Windows files on the BOOTCAMP partition so its still there, it just seems that refit can't find the WIN7 MBR.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• n808

n808 - 2015-06-01

It's all coming back to me... I had to enable the gptsync tool in refind.conf and run this, as somewhere along the line the NTFS partition had been lost from MBR.

• Roderick W. Smith

So is it working now for you, or are you still having a problem?

• n808

n808 - 2015-06-02

No, working fine now. I am not sure if it was the rEFInd upgrade or 10.10.3 upgrade that messed up the hybrid MBR, but it doesn't really matter - I now remember I used to have to run gptsync after OS upgrades in the past, so it was probably this.