Menu

4.2?!?

Tobbe
2009-02-01
2013-05-30
  • Tobbe

Tobbe - 2009-02-01

Hi,

How do I change the default installation language from spanish to english or swedish? I don't understand now because it's in spanish. I did a new fresh installation, before that i took a backup of my ged-com file.

Thanks

//Tobbe

• Tobbe

Tobbe - 2009-02-01

Fixed it anyway :)

But...I get this instead:

"ERROR:-1 DB Error: unknown error
      SQL:SELECT DISTINCT n_surn, n_surname, n_id FROM pgv_individuals JOIN pgv_name ON (i_id=n_id AND i_file=n_file) WHERE n_file=1 AND n_type!='_MARNM' AND (n_sort LIKE 'GARNEIJ,%') ORDER BY n_sort [nativecode=1267 ** Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '=']

Fatal error: Call to undefined method DB_Error::fetchRow() in /customers/smultronet.org/smultronet.org/httpd.www/familjer/includes/functions/functions_db.php on line 667

Konfigurationsområde My Tasks 

Task Name"

My Server Info
      -----------------
      OS      Linux     
      Database Data Disk Usage      2,8 MiB
      Server     Apache    
      Database Index Disk Usage     1,5 MiB
      PHP     v5.2.8    
      MYSQL Maximum Packet Size     16,0 MiB
      MYSQL     v5.0.32-Debian_7etch8-log    
      MYSQL Maximum No. Connection     2.048
      GD     bundled (2.0.34 compatible)    
      PHP Short Tag     On
      Server Hostname     smultronet.org
      PHP Safe Mode     On
      PHP Memory Limit     24,0 MiB
      PHP Max Upload Size     12,0 MiB
      PHP Max Post Size     12,0 MiB

• Greg Roach

Greg Roach - 2009-02-01

<<Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '=']>>

use phpMyAdmin (or some other tool) to convert the collation all your tables (and all the columns within them) from utf8_general_ci to utf8_unicode_ci

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2009-02-01

For all the other somewhat confused users out there:

During installation, PGV will use the first language in the browser's preferred language list that it supports.  If none of the browser languages are in PGV's supported languages list, it will default to English.

Thus, if you want to install in Swedish, you need to make sure that Swedish is ahead of any other language in the browser's preferred language list.  If you want to do the work in English, you need to make sure that English is first in the list.

Remember that the browser's preferred language list is in order of preference.  If you're seeing things in Spanish where you'd rather see them in Swedish or English, Spanish must currently be ahead of other languages.

• Tobbe

Tobbe - 2009-02-01

Hi,

Done that. All is ok.

Thanks alot :)

//Tobbe

• Stew Stronski

Stew Stronski - 2009-02-01

<<For all the other somewhat confused users out there:

During installation, PGV will use the first language in the browser's preferred language list that it supports. If none of the browser languages are in PGV's supported languages list, it will default to English.

Thus, if you want to install in Swedish, you need to make sure that Swedish is ahead of any other language in the browser's preferred language list. If you want to do the work in English, you need to make sure that English is first in the list.

Remember that the browser's preferred language list is in order of preference. If you're seeing things in Spanish where you'd rather see them in Swedish or English, Spanish must currently be ahead of other languages. >>

I still think this is the wrong way to do it. It's fine to auto-detect but forcing someone to change some arcane browser setting to override it is not the best way to go. It may be good programming, but it's bad "design". Being from Canada I use en-gb as the default language so there are sites that force me to the UK version of their site, which is often wrong.

• Wes Groleau

Wes Groleau - 2009-02-02

Being from Canada, can't you use en-ca ?

Anyway, I disagree that we're "forcing a user to change an arcane browser setting"

If the user knows how to change it, it's not arcane.

And if the user doesn't know how to change it, then it's still set to English, isn't it?

Still, it might be one step better to read all the browser prefs, and put them into a menu in order.

Let the very first step be selecting a language from that menu.  (with the top being the default)

• Stew Stronski

Stew Stronski - 2009-02-02

<<Being from Canada, can't you use en-ca ?>>

I think the original reason for en-gb was something to do with the spell checker, but I don't really remember anymore. Or it may be just the normal default if you download the en-gb localised version of Firefox. Anyway it isn't really a problem for me unless a website sends me to the UK version and doesn't give me an option to switch to US or Canadian or North American or whatever. That's the "bad design" I was referring to.

<<Anyway, I disagree that we're "forcing a user to change an arcane browser setting" 
      If the user knows how to change it, it's not arcane.>>

Trouble is the average user >doesn't< know how to change it :)

<<And if the user doesn't know how to change it, then it's still set to English, isn't it? >>

I don't personally have a problem with it of course. But some people do, and a lot of those people don't find their way here to find out how to work around it.

<<Still, it might be one step better to read all the browser prefs, and put them into a menu in order. 
      Let the very first step be selecting a language from that menu. (with the top being the default) >>

Doing that doesn't even require reading any browser prefs. It can default to English and allow a change to any supported language in a drop down. Or use the browser sniffing to pick the language it opens in and have a dropdown of all supported languages in PGV, not necessarily the languages the browser lists.

Using browser sniffing and geo-location is a tool that can be useful, but it isn't infallible. For instance one geo-location database for quite a while had my Montreal, Canada IP address located in Florida. That's why it's "good design" to allow the user a fast (and simple!) way to over-ride things.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2009-02-02

I'm NOT going to change this (again).

If the user's browser isn't set to English, *somebody* must have done it.  Surely, if you've installed the French version of your OS or picked French when installing your browser, you must have a preference for French?

• Jon Kristian Nilsen

This script will convert the db, worked well for me:)

// your connection
        mysql_connect("localhost","root","***");
        mysql_select_db("db1");

// convert code
        $res = mysql_query("SHOW TABLES");
        while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($res))
        {
            foreach ($row as $key => $table)
            {
                mysql_query("ALTER TABLE " . $table . " CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci");
                echo $key . " =&gt; " . $table . " CONVERTED<br />";
            }
        }