Charles Duffy - 2005-10-08

Howdy. I'm considering using PDF417 for an application involving fax routing. For testing purposes, I'm using pdf417enc to create the images, printing them out on a less-than-perfect laser printer, sending them through a fax machine (with ECC enabled), receiving them with a faxmodem, and using pdf417decode to decode them.

Unfortunetly, I'm finding that pdf417decode is only very rarely able to succesfully recover even part of the origional data under these conditions, even when the symbol is very large (~6" width) and the fax of moderately high resolution. Looking at the input file myself, it certainly suffers from having scattered white pixels (particularly in areas where the printer's black came out as more of a gray) -- but given the resolution in question, and the extent to which these lone white pixels are largely surrounded by black ones, I would hope that it would be possible to recover from these cases.

Is there anything I can do to be of assistance towards 'yall? While I *do* write C, I don't nearly have time to get closely involved in another substantial project -- but anything I can do by way of providing test data or other assistance which is within my present means, I'd be glad to provide.