Menu

Masking the social security number

Developers
Terry Hill
2014-10-03
2014-10-04
  • Terry Hill

Terry Hill - 2014-10-03

Has anyone given any thought to masking the display and print out of the patients social security number so it is displayed as XXX-XX-1234?

Thanks
    Terry

• Frankie

Frankie - 2014-10-03

I actually just dropped the social security field in our demographics form and plan on deleting all entries from the database. Most patients don't like to divulge that information anyway. Now the only issue is I have is a blank social security column under the Patient/Client > Patient search window.

Is social security identification required for some insurance claims? If not, maybe it can be dropped from the project altogether. Also doesn't do much for international users.

• Terry Hill

Terry Hill - 2014-10-03

What happens if you send an account to an outside collections agency (in the US)?

Terry

• Frankie

Frankie - 2014-10-03

Fortunately, we've never had to go that route. From what I'm reading, doctors aren't required to collect SSNs (http://www.healthleadersmedia.com/content/LED-259944/Bill-Exempts-Doctors-from-FTCs-Red-Flag-Rule-on-ID-Theft##), although I can see how it would be useful in situations like that.

• fsgl

fsgl - 2014-10-03

Medicare, Tricare & Workers Compensation (in our state) use it as the policy number. Our collection agency requires the Social Security number to track down the patient. It also serves as a search filter for our local hospital. The number is required for scheduling surgical cases.

The Red Flag Rule is a bit of bureaucratic silliness that swept in physician offices. It was intended to protect the public from identity theft and credit fraud. Because we don't collect the entire payment at the time of service, there was a question whether we are "creditors" and if the rule applied to us. After a period when we were required to ask for photo id, it was determined subsequently by folks in Washington that physician offices are not really "creditors". Eye roll.

As we explained to new patients who are reluctant to give their Social Security numbers, the doctor-patient relationship is built on a sacred trust. Besides their Social Security numbers, more sensitive and intimate details of their lives are given in the course of their care in our office. I tell patients that if they cannot entrust us with the number, they should seek out an office where they can do so.

If the Social Security number is not routinely printed on documents & if no one except staff has access to it, what is the case for masking?

Last edit: fsgl 2014-10-03
  • CVerk

CVerk - 2014-10-03

I cleared the social security number field (ss) from my database about 2 years ago and have not once run into it being a problem, even with collections. Nobody deals in social security numbers except Medicare. In Medicare, it is their insurance ID number, so it is in a different field and you have to use it for billing them.

• Roberto

Roberto - 2014-10-03

At my work we masked all the SSN. Only selected administraros are able to see the entire SSN. We did this to follow State and Federal regulations.

• MD Support

MD Support - 2014-10-04

We have a cron job moving SSN and few other billing/collection specific information to a file and replaced with 'ON FILE'. The file(s) get moved offline.
    The entire topic is moot since we never asked to see the SS card and have no way to validate authenticity anyway.
    From collection perspective a credit card or bank account number may help the agencies more than SSN.