Menu

Windows 10 .Iso

fsgl
2015-07-30
2015-11-14
  • fsgl

fsgl - 2015-07-30

For a few week you've been ignoring that "Get Windows 10" icon in the notificiation area. XAMPP 1.8.2, part of the 4.2.0 Package, does not support Windows 10. The Charms Bar & Metro desktop don't hold a candle to the Aero desktop of Windows 7.

You come across this free download & remember that Windows 7 will not be supported after 2020.

Even if you don't need Windows 10 now, there is a thought of burning the .iso for future use. The allure of free is a siren song.

There is, however, a bit of a catch because Windows 7/8/8.1 must be upgraded before a clean install can be performed as explained in Step 2 here.

Will run through this process to see if it's worthwhile. Certainly would not attempt it, were it not for the easy creation of system images with Macrium Reflect.

• CVerk

CVerk - 2015-07-31

So are you saying if we upgrade to windows 10 that openemr for windows won't work? Does that apply just from the server side or from the workstations too? All I have been able to find so far was that you might have to change the port use away from port 80 on apache. I haven't been offered up an upgrade yet on any of my computers, so I haven't been able to try it yet. I would like to get rid of windows 8.1 on a couple of them, but now I am not so sure.

• fsgl

fsgl - 2015-07-31

In the past when users have tried to install the Windows Package with a version of Windows not supported by XAMPP, the installation failed. Will know for certain after I tried the 10 upgrade.

If the upgrade invitation has not been received, download the .iso. It is not necessary to make the reservation.

At some point in time XAMPP will support 10, but because the free upgrade offer is time-limited; the upgrade must be performed within a year. No license key is involved. Activation occurs automatically.

Last edit: fsgl 2015-08-06
  • Kevin Yeh

Kevin Yeh - 2015-07-31

No need to rush to Windows 10 as a year seems like plenty of time to wait for more kinks to be worked out. I can't comment on OpenEMR and XAMPP specifically, but sound doesn't work on the one machine I upgraded to Windows 10, even though it claims to have a driver installed.

It certainly make sense to wait until you are offered the upgrade, as when the offer is made is supposed to imply that MSFT is more confident about it working with your particular hardware.

• Arnab Naha

Arnab Naha - 2015-07-31

Hello All..

On 29th of July, I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1 using the "Get windows app". After I upgraded and windows showed activated, I immediately did a clean install using the windows 10 DVD which was created by the "Media Creation Tool" from Microsoft.

So currently, I have a clean windows which is activated by default without even putting my product key, as stated by microsoft.

Regarding openemr, I am using it very nicely and all features of openemr work. I have XAMPP 1.8.2 and it certainly works.

Thanks and Regards,

Dr. Arnab Naha

• fsgl

fsgl - 2015-08-02

Upgrading from Windows 7 was not exactly a cakewalk. The Upgrade app performed poorly. After receiving confirmation of the reservation, Windows 10 downloaded in the background via Microsoft Updates. Despite multiple attempts the installation stalled at the "preparing to install" step, which should have taken 6 seconds. On another occasion "Something Went Wrong" appeared in the preparatory step. I surmise that the Microsoft servers were overwhelmed.

Before attempting the upgrade I would strongly recommend the creation of a system image (see this) to minimize upgrade remorse.

An alternative install method is to use the Media Creation Tool. No reservation is required.

The user can proceed to the upgrade immediately; but if a clean install is required at a later date or if multiple devices need updating, it's better to create an install medium.

A flash drive install runs faster & will be less prone to errors. Insert one with at least 4 GB, because the .iso file is 3.2 GB (for Windows 10 Home), while running the tool. If you plan to install another version, it may be necessary to have 6 GB. In addition to downloading the .iso, the tool will do the burning. I did not have an extra memory stick, therefore I used a DVD. Another application is necessary for burning to a DVD.

Be certain to choose to get updates. The latest tweaks eliminated the step about license key, the need to click "Skip" & the step to pick upgrade versus clean install. Essentially it's an untended install. One can mow the lawn or do laundry instead of sitting back & relaxing for the next hour.

CVerk was correct about changing the Apache port because 80 had been commandeered for something else. Here is the tutorial. 8079 seems to work. Remember to use the URL, localhost:8079/openemr or whatever you designate when logging in.

Still find the tile GUI & the flatness of the graphic hard on the eyes. At least the Charms Bar is gone. But too much clutter & OpenEMR left navigational bar plus Patient Summary don't fit, requiring a horizontal scroll. Did not put OpenEMR through its paces. One shouldd

• fsgl

fsgl - 2015-08-02

Will need some time in reading about the new formatting. It's a bit wacky.

Please note that install media cannot be used as bootable devices for the upgrade. The user must use setup.exe instead, by right clicking on the USB device or DVD, clicking Autoplay, then clicking Run setup.exe.

I was trying to convey that one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth with excessive whining.

Let's hope that the next project to dual boot Windows 7 & 10 will be easier than this formatting.

Last edit: fsgl 2015-08-03
  • fsgl

fsgl - 2015-08-02

The Markdown Syntax Guide has remained unchanged. The interpretation of keyboard strokes has changed radically. Cannot just delete phrases at will nor add text at the point of the cursor. Should be grateful the Fora & Wiki are functional again. This old dog will have to learn new tricks.

Edit:
    While cleaning behind the mini-tower, I accidently loosened the USB cable for the keyboard, causing very bizarre outputs. The light bulb turned on. The connection has been secured. No more wacky behavior.

Last edit: fsgl 2015-08-02
  • fsgl

fsgl - 2015-08-03

Clean install on a 2nd partition went well. Got dual-boot with Windows 7.

Tried to restore the system image of the upgraded 7->10 to 2nd partition without success.

Will have to be content with the clean install for now. Time to explore 10.

• fsgl

fsgl - 2015-08-04

Downloaded a copy of 4.2.0 Package this morning, installed it in Windows 10.

Pleased to announce login was possible after changing the Apache port to 8079. I will add this tidbit to the install guide.

The new browser, Edge, permitted the use of OpenEMR offline by going into Airplane mode.

Have yet to try out everything in Edge & Firefox. Being able to login is still a big deal.

• Arnab Naha

Arnab Naha - 2015-08-05

I am running windows 10 clean install right from 29th July 2015 and installed openemr with backed up production data. Not a single issue since then. Everything is working as it used to work in windows 8.1. Didnt change any settings in php or apache. Just had to reinstall the Apache and PHP as service in XAMPP control panel (which is obvious). The Mercury Mail server is also working flawlessly and sending out emails. The SMS s are going smooth. No issues in printing, recording and retrieving
    data..

Just a review of using it for a week.

Thanks and Regards
    Arnab

• Brady Miller

Brady Miller - 2015-08-05

Hi,

it's very odd that Windows would turn on IIS(Web Server) out of the box since it would be a potential security issue. Would be better to turn off IIS (unless Windows 10 requires it on which would be odd) and using the standard port 80 than redirecting to another port.

Arnab, did you have an issue with port 80 on your testing?

(this issue will be important to sort out for the next openemr/xampp package)

-brady

Last edit: Brady Miller 2015-08-05
  • Arnab Naha

Arnab Naha - 2015-08-05

Hi Brady..

I have no conflict with port 80. I have not even touched any settings of IIS in windows. here is the screenshot of my Xampp control panel.

• fsgl

fsgl - 2015-08-05

After the upgrade from 7 to 10, I was unable to login. It was not possible to restart Apache. The xampp control console stated that port 80 was being used for another application.

It was only possible to login after changing the port. Saw that article about IIS 10.0, hence I had referenced it in the Wiki.

I assume that because the port change was required in the upgrade, a clean install would be the same. Went back to the clean install, changed port back to 80 & login is possible.

Edited the tidbit in the Wiki. If Windows 10 users should turn off IIS instead of changing the port, I'll edit again. Will need to lookup how to turn off IIS.

• fsgl

fsgl - 2015-08-05

According to this article, IIS is not turned on by default.

Re-edited the Wiki & included the Windows 8 link for disabling IIS.

Last edit: fsgl 2015-08-05
  • fsgl

fsgl - 2015-08-06

If re-sizing the Start Menu is driving you batty because the horizontal double ended arrow is not responding, it does work but with a long delay of about 1-2 seconds. Vertical re-sizing is working normally.

When doing the clean install, if you were made a little uneasy because one of the setup screens asked for the product key, there is a solution. You clicked "Ask me later" & then checked that the device had been activated; but an actual product key is the proverbial "bird in hand".

ProduKey is a utility to retrieve lost license keys. I compared my Windows 7 license key to it. Both are different.

Edit 8/8/15
    The license key cannot be used from ProduKey. Using it for a clean install will nullify the activation from the upgrade.

Do not use the license key from ProduKey if you wish to retain the copy of Windows 10.

If you don't want Windows 10, see this post.

Last edit: fsgl 2015-08-08
  • Rod Roark

Rod Roark - 2015-08-06

With all the concerns about WIndows 10 sending information to Microsoft, I wonder if a practice could even use it without executing a Business Associate Agreement with them.

Rod
    http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

• fsgl

fsgl - 2015-08-06

A corollary question is whether the opt-outs are bona fide.

If not, another reason to switch to Linux.

Production will remain on 7 & offline, only test will be on 10.

• H Kornylak DO

H Kornylak DO - 2015-10-05

I tried simply upgrading rather than a clean install because I am concerned about loosing my drivers etc other installed programs. When I open a patient history, which should have had at least three dates, i get the following messages. What is the solution?

2014-10-24 P: Left thumb pain
    P: Left knee pain Patient presents for evaluation and treatment of left thumb pain, and left lateral knee pain. Also discussed alcohol and tobacco.

ERROR: query failed: SELECT d.id, d.type, d.url, d.docdate, d.list_id, c.name,d.encounter_id FROM documents AS d, categories_to_documents AS cd, categories AS c WHERE d.foreign_id = ? AND d.encounter_id=? AND cd.document_id = d.id AND c.id = cd.category_id ORDER BY d.docdate DESC, d.id DESC

Error: Unknown column 'd.encounter_id' in 'field list'

C:\xampp\htdocs\openemr\library\forms.inc at 163:sqlStatement
    C:\xampp\htdocs\openemr\interface\patient_file\history\encounters.php at 84:getDocumentsByEncounter(2,10)
    C:\xampp\htdocs\openemr\interface\patient_file\history\encounters.php at 542:getDocListByEncID(10,2014-10-24,2)

• Kevin Yeh

Kevin Yeh - 2015-10-05

The column in question is created when upgrading from 4.1.2 to 4.2.0 when the proper scripts are run.

https://github.com/openemr/openemr/blob/master/sql/4_1_2-to-4_2_0_upgrade.sql#L2935

However, since the title of this thread is about Windows 10, the fundamental issue for why the column is missing in this case is not clear.

• H Kornylak DO

H Kornylak DO - 2015-10-05

This error ocurrs in every patient now as a result of the upgrade. What would you propose as the best way to proceed?

• H Kornylak DO

H Kornylak DO - 2015-11-03

THANKS!! I simply ran the upgrade on the data base and now all is well. Thank you so much!!
        FYI All I did was upgrade win 7 to 10, I did not reinstall or modify anything, and other than this odd problem, all seems to work fine!

Last edit: H Kornylak DO 2015-11-04
  • fsgl

fsgl - 2015-10-05

This Ars Technica article is about Microsoft collecting information despite the opt-outs.

It then follows that HIPAA is being violated each time OpenEMR is used in Windows 10; unless all patients agree to release PHI to Microsoft; which is something they would vehemently opposed & which makes the practice look derelict in its duties to patients.

Even if Microsoft would give you a BAA, it would be meaningless because collected personal data will be shared with advertisers. That defeats the purpose of a BAA.

Hopefully you created a system image before the Windows 10 upgrade or at least a good backup for reversion.

Last edit: fsgl 2015-10-05
  • Art Eaton

Art Eaton - 2015-11-14

Real easy. Sniff the traffic, block access to the domains that are not directly related to windows updates. Live tile settings to no updates etc... notwithstanding, just block it at the firewall, then there is no question.
    No bing, no nothing.
    Now using Win10 Enterprise (picked up three licenses through the Techsoup.org program). No unknown traffic as far as I can see. A big part of that is the circumventing of the whole windows start menu by using classicshell.net to replace that goofy thing. No indexing, no searching. For all other bits, you can tweak your registry quite nicely. Takes no more time to secure than any other OS, and they all have issues like this...and it is nothing compared to an Airbook Pro