Menu

How to prevent the cursor jumping next line

mfitzen
2015-05-24
2015-05-24
  • mfitzen

mfitzen - 2015-05-24

Hi,

How can i prevent that the cursor automatically jumps to the next line?

For example: my document has 3 lines of text/code. when i click on the line numbers (line 2) to mark this specific line, the cursor automatically jumps into line 3. I expect it to stay at the end of line 2. This causes that you always copy 2 lines, the one that you want & a blank one where the cursor is in.

To reproduce: create textfile with 3 lines of text, activate line numbers, click on line 2 to mark the whole line, press strg+c, create a new blank file, press strg+v. you will see, that the new document will have 2 lines.

• THEVENOT Guy

THEVENOT Guy - 2015-05-24

Hello mfitzen,

There an easy workaround to get the selection that you would like to :-)

To fully understand the differences between the two selections, just activate the displaying of the End Of Line character(s). So, click on the menu option View - Show Symbol - Show End of Line

Now, if you click on any single line, it selects all the characters of the line as well as the End Of Line character(s). And if you paste this line in a new tab, you get two lines ( your line and an second empty line )

Back to your document, with the selected line, just use the shortcut
    SHIFT + LEFT ARROW key ==> You can notice that, this time, the End Of Line character(s) are NOT part of the selection. Therefore, after pasting, in a new tab, you'll get your single line, ONLY :-))

Et voilà !

Best regards,

guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2015-05-24