Menu

Make the switch?

moorpipe
2006-08-22
2012-11-13
  • moorpipe

moorpipe - 2006-08-22

I've tried lots of editors (free and paid) and selected Editplus as being superior and very stable. I am using it for years now and I still love using it in my daily work.

But...

Editplus is beginning to show its limitations. Modern features like folding and plugin support are missing. Although you can do many things with macros, customize toolbars (adding your own) and assign buttons to your liking. Someone pointed me to N++ and I must say it's a wonderful product. Still a bit rough around the edges (it can even crash!), but overall it's a modern, fully fledged product and easy to handle.

So, what should be improved to persuade me to make the switch from E+ to N++? Unless E+ comes up with plugin support and folding of course ;)

Must have:
    1. Custom shortcuts (incl. assign to plug-in functions, assign to macros, assign to all menu items)
    2. Custom toolbar(s) (for adding own tools, macros, etc.)
    3. Macro manager (create, edit, save, delete)
    4. Clickable links (optional, because some don't like it)
    5. Set default File Save location
    6. No crashes ;)

Nice to have:
    1. help text in status bar (if you hover over e.g. a menu option a short explanation should appear in the status bar)
    2. help function integrated (incl. context sensitive help)

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2006-08-23

Looks like the clickable links may never happen: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1425724&forum_id=331754.

I was hoping to move from EditPlus as well, but that is a showstopper for me.

Another I'd add to your list is Linux version.  I'm seriously looking at Ubuntu as the next OS, in preference to the Vista bloatware.