Menu

Hyjacked Download of Notepad++ by Conduit.com

Ron C
2013-08-14
2013-08-21
  • Ron C

Ron C - 2013-08-14

Last night I downloaded Notepad++ and the download was hijacked by the Conduit virus. I have put 20 hours now trying to get rid of the mess it created. How can anyone trust downloads if hackers can get to what I thought was a trusted site? How can we stop someone else having this happen to them in the future? Including me.

Last edit: Ron C 2013-08-14
  • Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2013-08-14

Hi Ron,

where did you download installer from? Official site?
    Tuxfamily has no news about security breach:

http://www.tuxfamily.org/en/news

BR,
    Loreia

• Ron C

Ron C - 2013-08-15

To be honest, I don't know. I found the download by searching google, and picked the first or second link

• Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2013-08-18

In that case Notepad++ can't be blamed.
    In the future download FLOSS software only from FLOSS repositories.

BR,
    Loreia

• Darlene

Darlene - 2013-08-21

I have had Notepad ++ for over a year now. I quite like it. Last week I was notified through my task bar that an update was available. I clicked on the notice to let the update load. During the loading process I was asked if I wanted to also use 3 other programs. I declined on each offer. Note Pad++ finished downloading and life was good. Only it wasn't. It brought in OtShot, Bab Maint. exe and Babylon Viruses. H o ly! It was all cleaned up with AVAST Anti-virus software Pro.

Today there was another update from Note Pad++, again the Notice came through my Task Bar. I allowed the download, again declining the other 3 programs and again infected my PC with the same viruses.

So either my Task Bar has been hijacked or your update program has been.

Checking my Notepad++ I have v6.4.1 (Uniccode) Build Time June 30, 2013
    I use Windows 7 and my browsers of choice are Maxthon, Opera and I/E 10.
    Memory: 2.00 gb and 32-bit Operating System

If my task bar has been hi-jacked how am I to know when any of the update notices are valid?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

Darlene

• Predelnik

Predelnik - 2013-08-21

I can't be 100% sure but Notepad++ never asked me to update using taskbar, it was just a message box inside a program. You should really check where you have downloaded it from perhaps.

• Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2013-08-21

Hi Darlene,

you have a virus on your computer. N++ does not update from taskbar. You need to do malware and virus scan on your machine.

BR,
    Loreia