Menu

Do ePubs actually work?

Help
2009-10-12
2012-12-30
  • Justin Steward

Justin Steward - 2009-10-12

See title. Was attracted to dslibris due to the fact that it supports ePub files. Tried a couple from epubbooks.com and some from Google Books, received red error screen and "Guru meditator error" when trying to open the book. Do ePubs actually work at all?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yes, it does. I tried stacks of epubs from the mobileread forums, but also had no luck with epubbooks.com. I guess the reason is that they use XML inside their epubs instead of XHTML. I think this is a good reason for opening a new issue on dslibris.

• Justin Steward

Justin Steward - 2009-10-12

I assume you are talking about file extensions? 

Hmm… If I get time tonight, I'll try rebuilding one of their epubs and change the xml extensions to xhtml and see if that fixes it.

I did note that extracting the xml files out of the epub and renaming them to xhtml allows you to load that particular chapter…

• BeeVee

BeeVee - 2009-10-13

All the .epubs I've made through Calibre (available here on sourceforge) work fine. What version of dslibris are you running on what hardware?

B

• Nobody/Anonymous

I only unzipped an epubbooks.com epub file and did not further inspect the XML. But if dslibris likes it if you rename it to .xhtml it probably is XHTML ….
    Maybe it helps to reprocess the epubs with Calibre. Worth a try.

• PeteC

PeteC - 2009-10-14

I have been playing around with a free epub editor called Sigil.  I loaded an epub doc with xml files into Sigil and then saved it straight away without editing it in any way.   I found that Sigil had converted (renamed?) the XML files to XHTML files and modified the OPF file as necessary.  The original doc gave the red screen with dslibris but the newly saved doc seemed to work without any problems.  I've only done this with one file so far but if it works generally then this is a very simple way to convert epub docs with xml files to work with dslibris. 

• BeeVee

BeeVee - 2009-10-14

Neat! I downloaded Sigil but haven't had time for a play yet.

B

• Ray Haleblian

Ray Haleblian - 2009-10-17

Fixed in 1.4.8. XMLs in ePUBs should not e ignored anymore.