Messed up character encoding in GUI elements

Help
Timo
2009-12-27
2013-05-09
  • Timo

Timo - 2009-12-27

Hi all,

I just downloaded and installed MP3Gain 1.2.5 (full version) on my Windows XP machine and experience some strange encoding of characters displayed in GUI text labels. For instance, instead of the first menu item, I read "Oàée" where all letters contain accents on top of them (can't show that above because I do not know how to apply these accents manually). Similarly messy characters appear in almost all other elements too, rendering usage of MP3Gain impossible.

For better understanding, please take a look at the screenshot I took and .

Any help is appreciated on whether this is an application- or OS-specific issue and how to solve it.

Thanks,

funktopus

: http://i47.tinypic.com/294m78k.jpg

• Clayton Macleod

Clayton Macleod - 2009-12-27

Strange.  I'd just download it again from a different mirror.  Or try the MUCH faster foobar2000 for that matter.  mp3gain has its usefulness if you want command-line scripting or something, but it's so slow that you'll be better off using foobar2000 if you have a lot of files to process.

BTW, what's with the 'unregistered version' message?  You know you can take a screenshot by hitting the 'print screen' key on your keyboard, eh?  And of only the current window by alt-printscreen.

• Timo

Timo - 2009-12-28

I'll try re-downloading and re-installing from a different mirror.

I didn't know Foobar 2000 before but what makes me hesitate using it is the fact that no localization seems to be possible. Since I'm actually trying to find a replay gain tool for a friend of mine who isn't too good at English, Foobar 2000 would only be my second choice. Additionally, it seems to be capable of much more than replay gaining, thus making it more complicated to master for the average computer user (i.e., my friend).

Thanks for your advice regarding how to take screenshots. Again, I had my buddy take that screenshot who didn't know how to do it easily. Will tell him now though.

• Clayton Macleod

Clayton Macleod - 2009-12-28

Ah, yes, very valid concerns.  It's great for us geeks but for the average user it could be overwhelming.

• Glen Sawyer

Glen Sawyer - 2009-12-28

When MP3Gain runs for the first time, if it finds a translation file in the program directory, then it switches to that language instead of the default English. Looks like you've got Bulgarian going on there, but your computer isn't set to display non-Latin characters.

Click the next-to-rightmost menu item (looks like "Acee" with funky accents) and you'll get a list of available translations. The one at the top of the list is "Original (U.S. English)".

• Timo

Timo - 2009-12-28

MP3Gain really was set to Bulgarian. Thanks to snelg's help, I managed to switch it to my locale.

I have no idea why it wouldn't use the proper language setting in the first place - Bulgaria surely isn't the closest place I live to, and neither is my OS tailored to any Slavic environment whatsoever. Maybe it was just a wrong mouse click at the wrong time.

Anyway, thanks for helping and making my regular computer friend happy.

• ptfitzy

ptfitzy - 2010-01-05

I just recently discovered "MP3 Gain", so I'm a novice. I have a couple questions. I posted it here because I was unable to find a place on here to post a new topic or question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I apologize if I posted on this person's "Reply".
    ptfitzy

• Clayton Macleod

Clayton Macleod - 2010-01-05

When you're looking at one of the main forums and see a list of topics there is an entry box at the bottom of the page, 'add a topic', where you start a new topic.  If you need help with something, add a new topic in the help forum.