Menu

MeV freezing

Help
Genome
2014-04-15
2014-08-15
  • Genome

Genome - 2014-04-15

I've been a loyal MeV user for almost seven years, but as of today, it has stopped working, even after reinstalling the most recent versions on both Mac OS-X and Linux (V4.8.1 - version 4.9 does not appear to be available for Mac and Linux). I get the usual error messages (which others have mentioned in this forum) upon startup, and when I attempt to load a file from the file menu, the application freezes and does not recover. It provides no informative information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edit: Genome 2014-04-15
    • John Quackenbush

Thanks for reporting this. We will look into it.

JQ

• Genome

Genome - 2014-04-16

Thanks! And, for the record, I agree with jesse - MeV is really superb. I too have published many figures generated using MeV.

• jesse

jesse - 2014-04-16

I have been having the same problem as of April 14th, using V4.8.1 in Ubuntu 12.04 and Win7 and also V4.9 in Win7. Clearly this has something to do with an update outside of MeV (Some recent java update?...). I think MeV is great, have been using it about as long as you and have published figures i made with it (and cited the relavent publication of course). Hopefully this can be figured out soon because MeV is a great resouce, and I do rely on it.

• John Quackenbush

Thanks as well for the report. We will try to sort out what is the source of the problem.

• jesse

jesse - 2014-04-17

So as strangely as MeV stopped working for a couple of days, it is working just fine for me now in both windows and ubuntu. False alarm I guess.... Or a problem with some server MeV was talking to?

Also genome, i got V4.9 to work in Linux by copying tmev.sh from 4.8.1 to the folder containing the windows V4.9 version. As far as I can tell it works fine... but I'm no expert on this sort of thing.

• levk

levk - 2014-04-21

I held off on releasing 4.9 for Linux and Mac because Java 7 was not released yet for Mac at the time of 4.9 release and most Linux distributions defaulted to Java 6 and MeV 4.9 will actually not work on Java 6.

As far as freezing, could you please provide a little more detail for reproduction such as what type of file you're trying to load what exact error messages you get on startup - because you should not be getting any, a copy of the file or at least a portion uploaded to dropbox would be great.

Last edit: levk 2014-04-21
    • John Quackenbush

Thanks Lev.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 21, 2014, at 10:14 AM, "levk" levk80@users.sf.net wrote:

I held off on releasing 4.9 for Linux and Mac because Java 7 was not released yet for Mac at the time of 4.9 release and most distributions defaulted to Java 6 and MeV 4.9 will actually not work on Java 6.

As far as freezing, could you please provide a little more detail for reproduction such as what type of file you're trying to load what exact error messages you get on startup - because you should not be getting any, a copy of the file or at least a portion uploaded to dropbox would be great.

MeV freezing

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/mev-tm4/discussion/378852/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Ed Horton

Ed Horton - 2014-08-15

Hi
    I'm new to MeV. I downloaded Mev 4.9.0 today. It opens OK, but when I go to File, Load Data MeV freezes. What should I do?

Thanks