Menu

MacFan 0.1 Released!

News
2009-09-19
2013-05-01
  • Robert Gilliam

Robert Gilliam - 2009-09-19

MacFan version 0.1 has been released! It allows control of fans for all non-iMac models of Intel based Macs.

Usage is simple: Run the program once with no arguments if you need to know how many fans are in your machine and the minimum and maximum speeds those fans can be set to. If you do so, you will be informed  that MacFan.exe has stopped working (this will be fixed in the next release) and then you can run it again with the speed you want to set the fans to as arguments. Of course, if you already know the acceptable ranges for your fans you can go ahead and run the program right away with the speeds you desire. For example, to set both fans in a MacBook Pro to 3000 rpm you would type:

MacFan.exe 3000 3000

For MacPro users, control of the Power Supply Fan is currently not working. Make sure you always pass 0 as the fourth argument in order to not attempt to control the power supply fan. Passing anything except 0 as the speed for your 4th fan could result in damage to your computer. Proper control of the power supply fan or removal of the 4th argument if it is not possible will be included in the next release.

An example of use on a MacPro is as follows:

MacFan.exe 1500 900 2000 0

I will be releasing a version soon enabling those with iMacs to easily provide me with the information to add support for them. Before then, if any iMac user happens to know the number of fans and minimum and maximum speeds for their model, let me know and I can add support right away.

I hope you find MacFan useful!

• Robert Gilliam

Robert Gilliam - 2009-09-19

Updated Release Notes for MacFan 0.1:

Mac/SMC Fan Control for Windows (+ Temp)

aka MacFan

Copyright (C) 2009 Robert Gilliam

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
    modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
    as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3
    of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
    along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
    Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301, USA.

RELEASE NOTES

USE OF THIS PROGRAM IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE TO ANY DAMAGE CAUSED
    TO YOUR COMPUTER THROUGH THE USE OF THIS TOOL. AS STATED ABOVE, THIS PROGRAM IS
    DISTRIBUTED WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY.

Usage:

Before even opening the command prompt (which has to be run as administrator),
    you need to make sure that no other applications are accessing the SMC.
    Both Everest, by Lavalys and Apple's own BootCamp software can interfere
    with MacFan and cause a hard lockup. Just make sure Everest, and KbdMgr.exe
    (for BootCamp versions previous to 3.0) or BootCamp.exe (for BootCamp 3.0)
    are not running when you attempt to change your fans. You can start them back up
    after MacFan is done running and, in fact, I would advise you to do so.

MacFan.exe <Desired RPM for Fan 1> <Desired RPM for Fan 2 (if applicable)>

<Desired RPM for Fan 3 (if applicable)> <Desired RPM for Fan 4 (if applicable)>

Run the program once with no arguments if you need to know how many fans are in your machine
    and the minimum and maximum speeds those fans can be set to. If you do so, you will be informed
    that MacFan.exe has stopped working (this will be fixed in the next release) and then you can run
    it again with the speed you want to set the fans to as arguments.

Of course, if you already know the acceptable ranges for your fans you can go ahead and run the
    program right away with the speeds you desire. For example, to set both fans in a MacBook Pro
    to 3000 rpm you would type:

MacFan.exe 3000 3000

For MacPro users, control of the Power Supply Fan is currently not working. Make sure you always
    pass 0 as the fourth argument in order to not attempt to control the power supply fan.
    Passing anything except 0 as the speed for your 4th fan could result in damage to your computer.
    Proper control of the power supply fan or removal of the 4th argument if it is not possible
    will be included in the next release. Example of running MacFan on a MacPro:

MacFan.exe 1500 900 2000 0

Upcoming Features:

I will be releasing a version soon enabling those with iMacs (and any new Intel
    based Macs released in the future) to easily provide me with the information to add support for
    them. Before then, if any iMac user happens to know the number of fans and minimum and maximum speeds
    for their model, let me know and I can add support right away.

I am also working on allowing the user
    to create rules that will govern automatic temperature control.