Menu

Non-matching Search Results

Anonymous
2013-04-09
2013-05-29
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-04-09

I use Launchy at work for searching sales order files on our network. Occasionally when typing in a sales order number it will pull up other forms whose numbers and content are unrelated.

Here are a couple of screen shots:

I changed settings to only search the title and it still does this. I'm not sure where it's getting these results. If I open one of the files and search for the number again, that number doesn't exist anywhere in that file. So I'm not sure how these other forms are coming up as results for a different number.

Does anyone have any ideas?

• J. Ledvina

J. Ledvina - 2013-04-09

Launchy's search is slightly "fuzzy". When you search, it finds those characters in that order, regardless of whether there are other characters in between. This doesn't work very well when you have many very long filenames indexed, especially when they include lots of digits! If you check the "underline matched text" option, you can see which characters are responsible for the results.

As far as I know, there's no way to make the search look strictly for adjacent characters, so Launchy might not be the tool you need.