Menu

How does it work - "Wait for Approval" feature

TysonHeart
2013-12-04
2018-07-10
  • TysonHeart

TysonHeart - 2013-12-04

Hi,
    I have been trying to analyze the Wait for Approval feature for incidents and requests in 2.0.1.
    At the moment, there is no sufficient documentation on it on the itop wiki .And the functionality seems to be confusing for me. Could somebody please help me with the below:

• Only admin can see the "Wait for Approval" button while creating a ticket; I expected that Operators (service desk/support agents) should be able to see this functionality (either while creating ticket or after ticket is created) but they just don't have this Action

• If the admin clicks on the "Wait for Approval" button, he is presented a complete list of users from the organization for which the ticket was created. Shouldn't this list be more restricted?

• Once the admin creates ticket with "Wait for Approval", the ticket is not visible for Action when the non-admin Approver logs in. Only an admin approver can approve a ticket - no other profile can.

Can somebody please throw some light on this OR how they are using this feature currently?

Is this a defect, if yes I can report it. If not, how is the functionality/workflow designed to work?

• Faund

Faund - 2013-12-26

Hi,

I have met this problem too.

And I get it resolved.

The resolution is to add a new profile to enable the user can do "wait_for_approval", "prove" and "reject".

The way to create a new profile can be find here https://wiki.openitop.org/doku.php?id=2_0_2:customization:add-profile-sample

and this is the sample datamodel file from mine.

itop@itsm:/var/www/extensions/faund-profile-class$ more    datamodel.faund_add_profile.xml
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <itop_design xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" version="1.0">
      <constants>
      </constants>
      <classes>
      </classes>
      <menus>
      </menus>
      <user_rights>
        <profiles>
             <profile id="50" _delta="define">
             <name>User Request Approver</name>
             <description>User with this profile can approve a request waiting for approval.</description>
             <groups>
                <group id="class:UserRequest">
                   <actions>
                      <action id="ev_approve" xsi:type="stimulus">allow</action>
                      <action id="ev_reject" xsi:type="stimulus">allow</action>
                   </actions>
                </group>
             </groups>
             </profile>
        </profiles>
      </user_rights>
    </itop_design>

Last edit: Faund 2013-12-26
  • erosszzsy

erosszzsy - 2014-05-30

Any updates of this solution?

Is this working? and anyone can upload screenshots of the outcome?

Thank you.

• erosszzsy

erosszzsy - 2014-06-12

I have added the new profile and granted to the approver.
    Then, I have set the approver but I don't see the requests in the portal to approve.

is there any additional configuration?
    And would be very helpful if someone could provide screenshots on how this works.

Thank you.

• erosszzsy

erosszzsy - 2014-06-27

anybody experience the same?

• George Dedas

George Dedas - 2014-06-30

I had also the same situation, the solution and the code provided by Faund worked for my case.

Actually,I combined the 'User Request Approver' with the 'Support Agent' profile, so now I have a kind of limited admin profile, who can manage the approving.

In my case, it's not a drama that the Approver can decide upon ALL requests.

Last edit: George Dedas 2014-07-01
  • metafaniel

metafaniel - 2015-03-02

In version 2.1.0 with @Faunt code, the Toolkit throws some errors:

Notice: Undefined index: class:UserRequest in C:\Apache24\htdocs\iTop-2.1.0-beta\setup\compiler.class.inc.php on line 1630

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\Apache24\htdocs\iTop-2.1.0-beta\setup\compiler.class.inc.php on line 1632

Notice: Undefined index: class:UserRequest in C:\Apache24\htdocs\iTop-2.1.0-beta\setup\compiler.class.inc.php on line 1630

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\Apache24\htdocs\iTop-2.1.0-beta\setup\compiler.class.inc.php on line 1632

I've changed this:

<group id="class:UserRequest">

...to this:

<group id="UserRequest">

and those errors dissapear =)

• colgate

colgate - 2018-07-10

I got the profile created, but the user still can't see the Aprove option in the drop down menu. Any idea?

• Vincent @ Combodo

This thread is pretty out-dated.
    Install either "Approval process Automation" or "Approval process light" from the hub for getting Approbation process is place