Isochronic Pulses help

Help
omar
2015-12-18
2015-12-23
  • omar

omar - 2015-12-18

hi everybody!
    I would like to know what are the isochronic pulses, what are they for and how to use it in gnaural, I think that can be a very important feature of gnaural software but just a few users can use it (cause information about isochronic pulses in brain driving is not avaliable on the internet).

Thanks in advance!

ps: what is (theoretically) the difference between common binaural beats and isochronic pulses?

• gnaural

gnaural - 2015-12-21

Gnaural has two forms of Isochronic Pulses built-in; the easiest way to compare with binaural beats is to use the default schedule that appears when you start Gnaural and change the voice-type from Binaural Beats to Isochronic Pulses.

As for your larger question "what is (theoretically) the difference between common binaural beats and isochronic pulses?":

In my understanding, what is termed Isochronic Tones are a subset of "Auditory Driving" - essentially the natural tendency of some features of overall brain activity to "lock on to" (known in the literature as "frequency following response", FFR) periodic stimuli. FFR can be elicited by any sort of periodic stimulus - most common in the history of our species would presumably be the beating of a drum.

So for me the question really becomes, "how are Isochronic pulses different from both drum beats and Binaural Beats?" While the similarity to drum beats is subtle, there is a basic difference between Binuaral Beats and Isochronic pulses: Isochronic pulses are a direct stimulus (directly delivering their frequency information in their on/off pulse-rate), while binaural beats are an indirect stimulus (using carrier waves to stereo-encode information that our brains decode as periodic stimulus).

In fact, in the purest sense, binaural beats are a cognitive illusion - literally, a simulation of acoustic mixing of two beats done by our brains, since by definition, the two tones are isolated to each ear, so that there is no actual acoustic mixing at all of the carrier tones.

It is this extra processing of binaural beats that gives it an edge for me over direct rhythmic pulses for meditation - but that's just my opinion. But Isochronic pulses are very useful for situations where you can't isolate the delivery of separate tones to each ear. Or as people love to put it "you don't need headphones for Isochronic tones!" :-)

Last edit: gnaural 2015-12-21
  • omar

omar - 2015-12-23

Thanks a lot!!!!!