Menu

Unable to launch

Help
Matt
2009-08-06
2013-05-20
  • Matt

Matt - 2009-08-06

Hello.  I have Eclipse 3.5.0 with EPIC 0.5 and JRE 1.6.0_14.  Eclipse opens fine but I can't launch anything.  I get an error dialog "The selection cannot be launched and there are no recent launches."  Not sure how I can diagnose it.

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2009-08-06

Have you created a launch configuration using the Run menu? Can you launch from there?

• Zippy1970

Zippy1970 - 2009-10-03

I too am having difficulties with the whole "launch configuration" thing. First of all, I'm new to both Eclipse and EPIC so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

I have a few Perl projects in my Navigator. For some reason, the only way to launch a project is to right click on one of the files inside a project, choose "Run As" -> "Run Configurations", create a new Launch Configuration under "Perl Local" for that project (if it doesn't exist already), then clicking the  button in that same window.

Now it doesn't remember this Launch because clicking the green "Run As" button after this, gives me the error:

**"The selection cannot be launched, and there are no recent launches"**

So each time I want to Run or Debug a project, I need to go through the above steps (minus the creating a new launch).

I'm also confused about why these launch configurations aren't stored with the project itself. Because am I understanding correctly that whenever I want to launch another project, I first have to choose another Launch Configuration? Ideally I would simply want to select another project (by clicking it in the Navigator), then click the run or debug button. The way (I think) it is now, you get an ever growing list of Launch configurations, one for each project.

Anyway, how can I get Eclipse to launch the project when I click the Run or Debug buttons?

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2009-10-03

This is an Eclipse thing. Launch configurations are global (stored in the workspace). Each of them refers to a project (and in case of EPIC, to a script within the project). When you use the Run As… context menu, such a global launch configuration is created for you. You can view it in the launch configurations dialog and run/debug it from there. You shouldn't use Run As.. context menu repeatedly, as this will give you duplicate launch configurations (I believe).

Of course, this way is not very convenient, so therefore there is the Run/Debug icon in the toolbar (with a possibility to expand it and select among the recently used launch configurations).

Still, there is one little annoying detail: by default, clicking this button does not run/debug the last used launch configuration. Instead, it tries to figure out one depending on what the current selection is. In most cases the selection is "something irrelevant", so this doesn't work reliably. Fortunately, you can tell Eclipse to use the last configuration (this was, by the way, default up to Eclipse 3.3). Go th Preferences, Run/Debug, Launching and select "Always launch the previously launched application".