Menu

Probably a bug in beta 3.20.30.0 - copying in MS Word 2013 x64

TMMC
2014-10-16
2015-03-13
  • TMMC

TMMC - 2014-10-16

I report it here, because I can not find any bug reporting channel.
    I do not know if bug reporting is supported here on SourceForge - if not, maybe moving to GitHub is a good idea.

System: Windows 8.1 Update 1 x64 PRO PL (latest updates installed)
    MS Office Version: 2013 (Office 15) x64 Pro Plus PL
    Ditto version: 3.20.30.0 beta x64 (and probably earlier versions)

Bug details:
    Copying text in MS Word 2013 x64 (tables, text, comments) while Ditto runs, shuts down MS Word (right after using ctrl + c or Copy from Word context menu).

If Ditto isn't running Word works flawlessly.

I have not tested (I do not have ability) it with x32 Windows/Office/Ditto.

Last edit: TMMC 2014-10-16
  • Maloney

Maloney - 2014-10-24

What clipboard formats are you saving into ditto? Are you copying a large text in word?

What I think is happening is that word places a large number of delayed rendered formats onto the clipboard. It only places the actual data onto the clipboard once an app asks for them. Ditto is then asking for those delayed rendered formats, this then causes word to use to much memory or have trouble with one of the formats.

Try removing some of the formats ditto is saving.

• TMMC

TMMC - 2014-10-26

'What clipboard formats are you saving into ditto?' - I'm not sure about that, but I have almost all CF_ formats selected in options. Is that what you ment in first question? Which should be removed in this case?

Answer to the second question is 'yes' but in general. In this particular case I was changing my CV/resume and I was copying one or two rows from table at once (date in one cell and a line of text in second) or data from a table cell containing about one paragraph of text.

Do you think there is a point in fixing the 'bug' (let's call it like that) in Ditto or is it rather overkill of my configuration + internal Word processing?

• Maloney

Maloney - 2014-10-26

I would start by removing all formats (options - supported types) except Rich Text Format, cf_text, cf_unicodetext and cf_dib. Unless you have a specific need for others i would not save those.

• TMMC

TMMC - 2015-03-13

I have to 'reactivate' it after a longer while. Have you been doing anything with this 'bug'? I ask because I did not remove any format - I still have them all and lately (yesterday and today) I've been using Ditto 03.20.60.00 (beta) in the same environment - Win 8.1 Update 1 Pro x64 PL + Office 2013 x64 PL + Ditto x64 and it seem to work flawlessly :) I've even copied whole tables about ten rows and two columns and it did not caused the behavion described before.