Menu

Problem with updating a DynamicDNS

Help
2004-09-27
2013-01-14
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hello folks,

I have an account with DynDNS.org. On starting ddclient with the debug options according to the README file (-daemon=0 -debug -verbose -noquiet) I geht the following "closing" message:

DEBUG:    get_ip: using if, ppp0 reports 84.129.82.43
    WARNING:  skipping update of boundinf.homedns.org from 84.129.92.42 to 84.129.82
    WARNING:   last updated Sun Aug 22 10:48:19 2004.
    WARNING:   Wait at least 30 seconds between update attempts.

I have no clue at the moment, why my IP is not updated anymore. Did DynDNS change the protocol or such?

My ddclient.conf contains the following non commented lines:

syslog=yes                              # log update msgs to syslog
    mail-failure=root                       # mail failed update msgs to root
    pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid               # record PID in file.
    use=if,                     if=ppp0             # via interfaces
    login=xxxxxxx                                  # default login
    password=xxxxxxx                                # default password
    server=members.dyndns.org,              \ protocol=dyndns2                        \ boundinf.homedns.org

Any idea what is going on?

Carsten

• wimpunk

wimpunk - 2004-09-27

I guess it's a problem your systemtime.  Ddclient checks when dyndns got the latest update and if the difference with the systemtime is less than 30 seconds it skips the update because dyndns.org otherwise blocks it.

• Nobody/Anonymous

how to solve this problem?

• Nobody/Anonymous

There's nothing changed on dyndns, it still works on my system.
        Ddclient uses the systemtime to check if he isn't trying to update to fast.  Maybe you could start debugging by running ddclient in debug-mode with the "force" option.  ddclient will try to update your hostname, even if the interval isn't expired.
        Normally there must be enough information in the debug logging to find out why ddclient doesn't update...

• Robert Citek

Robert Citek - 2004-11-28

I'm having a similar issue updating my DynDNS account.  So, I thought I'd try updating only at the command line with this:

# ddclient -daemon=0 \ -debug \ -noquiet \ -verbose \ -force \ -ip 127.10.10.10 \ -server members.dyndns.org \ -protocol dyndns2 \ -login XXXXXX   \ -password XXXXXX \ -host just-a-test.homedns.org

The end of the output looks like so:
      === cache ====
      DEBUG:    get_ip: using ip, ip reports 127.10.10.10

A quick dig on the name shows nothing has been changed:

# dig just-a-test.homedns.org | grep -A 1 ';; ANSWER';; ANSWER SECTION:
      just-a-test.homedns.org. 60     IN      A       127.0.0.1

Manually checking my account at dyndns.org confirmed that nothing has changed.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong and more importantly how to generate more debug logging information to troubleshoot the problem?

Regards,
      - Robert

• wimpunk

wimpunk - 2004-11-28

Post your problem as a bug and add the full-result of ddclient -daemon=0 -debug -verbose -noquiet and your ddclient.conf as an attachment.  Don't forget to write down the version of ddclient you're using and keep in mind that since version 3.6.4 ddclient needs a /etc/ddclient directory.

• Robert Citek

Robert Citek - 2004-11-28

• wimpunk

wimpunk - 2004-11-29

For all the others out there: it looks like ddclient doesn't work correctly if you don't use the configurationfile.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks.  I have it working.  I changed the following in ddclient.conf.

#use=if,                     if=eth0        # via interfaces
      use=web                    # via web

I changed from use=if to use=web.  It worked and didn't give out my internal NIC address. I also used the debug command and it provided me with all the information I need to track down the problem. 

Thanks.

• wimpunk

wimpunk - 2004-12-14

It's always nice to know if a solution works...