Menu

Is DBAN Finished?

Help
2013-05-12
2013-07-22
  • Aaron Collins

Aaron Collins - 2013-05-12

DBAN just finished wiping my drive and I clicked the finish button, but then it took me to a full-screen advertising graphic for commercial data wiping and just stopped there.  So I restarted the computer and removed the CD. 

Was it still doing something?  Was I supposed to continue letting it sit there like that?  It gave me no instructions.  Because now I'm trying to run SpinRite, and it's saying the hard drive has failed and won't proceed.  I realize this isn't a SpinRite forum and I'm not asking about SpinRite per se, but I'm trying to figure out if I gakked up the hard drive by not letting that advertising screen just stay there until… whatever.

• Jeff

Jeff - 2013-05-22

My question exactly Aaron. In my case, I left DBAN to run overnight and when I returned in the morning all I see is an advertisement that I'm unable to escape from. While I'm not having any issues with the wiped SD card, it would be nice to see a detailed success message of some sort, anything to say that the job was completed.

Does the advertisement signify that nothing went wrong? And if something went wrong, would we see that instead?

• Buckethead

Buckethead - 2013-07-22

You should see lines of text showing that it is completed and once you hit a key it will take you to that graphic, my guess is that it did finish but missed that other part for some reason.