Menu

DBAN completed? No success message, but ad

Help
Patrick
2012-12-22
2013-05-21
  • Patrick

Patrick - 2012-12-22

I just completed my first DBAN operation (latest version) on an external HD. This took quite a quite a while (~27 hrs).
    In the end, I didn't get the "DBAN succeeded" message, but only a screen with a Blancco ad which wouldn't go away. I didn't see DBAN completing the process, but I know that it was over 95% the last time I looked at it.
    Now the question is: Can I be sure that DBAN completed successfully? Should I have gotten a success message or does the latest version only shows the advertising screen without further noticing? As the ad screen wouldn't go away and there is no way to end DBAN regularly, does turning off the computer have any potential impacts on the DBAN process?
    Thank you in advance for your help!

• cory norton

cory norton - 2013-01-04

Did you find a resolution to the Blancco ad at the end of the DBAN process?

• Kurt Turner

Kurt Turner - 2013-01-17

lots of DBAN troubleshooting Q and A  here.

if DBAN don't finish on the first pass you may have bad sectors on your HD - but if not - run a quick pass after the failure to be sure - quick pass will write all 0's or all 1's and doesn't take near as long as some of the more complicated nukes. And since you pretty much finished over writing the sectors the first time, the simple pass allows you to clean up the rest and give you peace of mind. I doubt anything on the remain sectors was concern enough for you needing some type of DOD compliant wipe.

• Erin Wark

Erin Wark - 2013-01-20

I did DBAN and it went very fast. said it solved some non-fatal errors.  said it had completed. Blancco ad came up. I restarted and repeated just in case.  also very fast. Then I took the disk out and rebooted.  Windows XP opens and shows me that DBAN did not erase anything at all.