Menu

Creating an element with an existing type

tom
2015-04-30
2015-05-08
  • tom

tom - 2015-04-30

Hi David,

Not sure if I missed this in one of the tutorials, apologies if I have.

Let's say I want to detail shipping containers.

I'm interested in the weight and the maximum carrying weight of the container. Using NIEM, I decide to use nc:ItemWeightMeasure for the purpose of representing these measures.

In CAM, I create my template with the ShippingContainer element at the top level. I drag over a nc:ItemWeightMeasure element from the NIEM dictionary.

How do I now name it to ShippingContainerTareWeightMeasure whilst maintaining the type, so I don't need to create a new type? Once renaming, will I then be able to drag over a second nc:ItemWeightMeasure item underneath ShippingContainer?

If this isn't possible, what is the general pattern for addressing this type of problem?

tom

• drrwebber

drrwebber - 2015-04-30

Tom, a very good question. The simplest thing is to create a parent element ShippingContainerTareWeightMeasure and make nc:ItemWeightMeasure a child of that. This is assuming you will use Files / Export / Template as XSD / and pick the NIEM output option to create a new schema.

Another approach is to get into manual schema editing of the generated schema and switch the defined type reference with the nc:ItemWeightMeasure. You could put an annotation of "Type" into the template to assist with that.

Now you are asking this - it occurs to me - we could enhance the XSLT that is generating the XSD to use those Type annotations to create a named type.

Also - the Rename UI tool - if someone renames a namespaced item - could prompt to automatically add that Type annotation.

If you concur I will add these to the enhancements for upcoming release, although I am wondering if this is enough, and maybe opening up more details to be considered too?

Thanks, David

• tom

tom - 2015-04-30

Hi David,

Thanks for the tips and I think the additional functionality sounds very (very) useful.

thanks,

tom

• drrwebber

drrwebber - 2015-05-01

Tom, its in the bug tracker as enhancements now.

Thanks, David

• tom

tom - 2015-05-08

Hi David,

I've just thought the same annotation mechanism would probably be useful for extensions.

tom

Last edit: tom 2015-05-08