Menu

ERROR: Can't resolve hostname <smtp@mydomain.net>

Help
2014-06-09
2014-07-12
  • julio villamar

julio villamar - 2014-06-09

My mail server is mail.mydomain.net

So I ran: -installsmtp mail.mydomain.net myemail@mydomain.net - - - username password

When I send a test email: -to an_email@email.net -subject "test" -body "body test"

I receive the ERROR: Can't resolve hostname smtp@mydomain.net

Could one reason be because my email server starts with "mail." instead of "smtp." ?

Also to help troubleshoot, is the user ID & password referring to the mailserver or the specific sending from email address? If they are incorrect will it generate an error specific to incorrect login or will it be the same "Unable to resolve hostname" ?

Thanks for the program AND any help!

• Chip

Chip - 2014-06-10

I suspect what you actually keyed is not what you posted. My thoughts are that you keyed in something more like this:

blat -install smtp@mydomain.net mail@mydomain.net - - - username password

This would explain why smtp@mydomain.net cannot be resolved. If you run the -install over again, you will probably have better results.

Alternatively, you can run regedit.exe and find the Blat keys under "Public Domain\Blat". In my 64-bit Windows 7, these keys are located under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node. There you find the "SMTP server" name, and you'll be able to correct it.

The username and password are for the SMTP server for your email account.

By the way, which version of Blat did you attempt to use?

Chip

• julio villamar

julio villamar - 2014-06-10

Thanks,
    I checked the Blat Keys and it showed : SMTP server was mail.mydomain.net

I also modified that key to smtp.mydomain.net ....My hoster says my outgoing server is mail.mydomain.net (not smtp.mydomain.net) Anyway I tried it both ways (which is proper though?)

With the SMTP server key set to mail.mydomain.net OR smtp.mydomain.net I still get the same the exact same error "Can't resolve hostname smtp@circuitse7en.net "

Blat v3.2.1 <build :May="" 28="" 2014="" 00:36:03=""> 64-bit WIndows,Full,Unicode
    [using on windows 8.1]

• Chip

Chip - 2014-06-11

I do not have Windows 8.1, I do have Windows 7 64-bit. Do you have a Windows 7 64-bit system you can test this with? In the meantime, I will try to locate a Windows 8.1 at the office tomorrow.

Here is what I did tonight:

===================================

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Chip>r:

R:>f:\blat\blat321\x64\Release\blat -install smtp.example.org "Myemail@localhost.org" - - goober
    Blat v3.2.1 (build : May 28 2014 00:36:03)
    64-bit Windows, Full, Unicode

SMTP server set to smtp.example.org on port 25 with user Myemail@localhost.org, retry 1 time(s)

R:>f:\blat\blat321\x64\Release\blat c:jr.bat -p goober -s "Testing bogus smtp" -t myself -superdebug -log r:\blat.txt
    Checking option -log

Checking option -s
    Checking option -t

R:>f:\blat\blat321\x64\Release\blat c:jr.bat -p goober -s "Testing bogus smtp" -t myself

Error: Can't resolve hostname (smtp.example.org).

R:>

The log file is this:

2014.06.10 23:05:11 (Tue)------------Start of Session-----------------
    superDebug: init_winsock(), WSAStartup() returned 0 (NO_ERROR)
    superDebug: Cannot resolve hostname <smtp.example.org> to ip address.
    Error: Can't resolve hostname (smtp.example.org).
    2014.06.10 23:05:13 (Tue)-------------End of Session------------------

When I repeated the above steps, except that I used mail.circuitse7en.net as the SMTP server with the -install line, then I get "superDebug: Hostname <mail.circuitse7en.net> resolved to ip address 205.134.253.188" in my output log.

My next guess is that perhaps something in your Windows 8.1 system is blocking Blat from access to the Internet. Check your firewall settings to ensure Blat is allowed through.

• julio villamar

julio villamar - 2014-06-11

OK, I made sure blat.exe is let through the firewall, but blat still can't resolve the hostname.

Just to be sure would this also be the stated error if the username or password were incorrect? (i don't think they are though)

Sorry, I don't have W7

Last edit: julio villamar 2014-06-12
  • Chip

Chip - 2014-06-12

If the username and password were incorrect, you would receive a different error message.

• Chip

Chip - 2014-06-27

I updated my brother-in-law's computer from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, then ran blat on his computer. I am unable to reproduce the problem you're reporting with the server name being changed from mail.circuitse7en.net to smtp@circuitse7en.net and not being resolved with the new name.

Chip

• julio villamar

julio villamar - 2014-07-04

Installing thusly:
    blat -installsmtp smtp@circuitse7en.net myemail@circuitse7en.net -25 465 - username password [Registry confirms SMTP server= smtp@circuitse7en.net , yes port 465 see below]

Test:
    blat -to mygmailemail@gmail.com -subject "test" -body "body test"
    Test result:
    …can't resolve hostname smtp@circuitse7en.net

My provider says:

Incoming Server: secure##.inmotionhosting.com
    Outgoing Server: secure##.inmotionhosting.com
    Username: Your full e-mail address
    Password: Your e-mail account password
    Incoming Port: POP3 995 or IMAP 993
    Outgoing Mail server (SMTP) Port: 465 <<<<<
    SSL: YES
    SMTP Authentication Required
    Secure Authentication or SPA needs to be turned off <<?????????

Installing thusly: (## changed to appropriate number in all cases)
    blat -installsmtp secure##.inmotionhosting.com myemail@circuitse7en.net -25 465 - username password [Registry confirms SMTP server= secure##.inmotionhosting.com ]

Test:
    blat -to mygmailemail@gmail.com -subject "test" -body "body test"

Test result:
    …can't resolve hostname smtp@circuitse7en.net
    [?? I guess it is normal even though Registry key SMTP Server is set to secure##.inmotionhosting.com ]

• Chip

Chip - 2014-07-12

Ah, the first problem is the server name you entered. Your line should be:

blat -installsmtp smtp.circuitse7en.net myemail@circuitse7en.net 25 465 - username password

The @ symbol in your server name is not right, it should be a period.

The second problem is that Blat does not know SSL. By using port 465, your server is requiring an encrypted connection, something that Blat does not support natively. Here at home, for me to use Blat with AT&T, I use stunnel from https://www.stunnel.org/index.html to provide the encryption layer.

I attached my stunnel.conf file that is used by the stunnel program. I then tell Blat to use IP 127.0.0.1 and port 25 when I want to connect to AT&T.

Chip