Session time limit

Developers
2005-10-25
2015-04-07
  • Garvin Hicking

Garvin Hicking - 2005-10-25

Hi!

The documentation says that visits are counted as
    subsequent hits from an IP within the timeframe of about 60 Minutes.

I want to adjust this timeframe to 30 minutes, because I have a frequented website where people come by my webpage more than once an hour, and this should
    count as two visits instead of one. I know there is no config option for this, but I am willing to patch the code.

Would you be so nice to just give me a pointer in the code where this timeframe is applied?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
    Garvin

• Sean Carlos

Sean Carlos - 2005-10-25

The main program is awstats.pl. There is a parameter defined, "$VISITTIMEOUT=10000; # Lapse of time to consider a page load as a new visit. 10000 = 1 hour (Default = 10000)". I have it from the author that it is not currently possible to change this without making other supporting changes. Thus, you can use this as a starting point, but the solution will be more involved than just changing the value.

Sean Carlos

http://www.antezeta.com/awstats.html

• Garvin Hicking

Garvin Hicking - 2005-10-26

Hi Sean!

Thanks a lot, that already helps me further a lot. I will dig into this and if I get it modified, I'll post here for feedback. :-)

Best regards,
        Garvin

• Sean Carlos

Sean Carlos - 2005-10-26

I hope you make progress! Keep in mind that the "Industry Standard" timeout is usually 30 min (see www.iab.net).

Sean

http://www.antezeta.com/awstats.html

• devu

devu - 2006-10-05

Hi,
            I have the same problem, I'd like to set the session length to the standard 30 minutes used by other stats programs.
            Any news on the $VISITTIMEOUT thing?
            Thanks

• R1_

R1_ - 2006-10-05

Hi,

I've to patch for my own use,

$VISITTIMEOUT=3000; Will set up for 30 min

Regards

• Chad Horton

Chad Horton - 2005-12-13

Garvin,

I would appreciate it if you would share your findings and the changes you had to make to get your custom VISITTIMEOUT to work.

I myself have to change this (believe it or not, I have to change it to 25920000000 (30 days)

My customer needs to only track visits as one visit per month instead of the default standard of 30 minutes.

• Garvin Hicking

Garvin Hicking - 2005-12-13

I tried patching the place thean seanca pointed out, but actually it didn't help.

I am no PERL programmer (only PHP) and didn't yet read through all the code, which isn't that easy to read and at places quite obfuscated.

So the bottom line - I couldn't get it to work. Modifying the variable made no apparent change to the visit count. If you find out something more, please share it on the forums! :)

Regards,
        Garvin

• fastfast2

fastfast2 - 2015-04-07

If you are making test, just delete current database file for this user. Otherwise database info will not be updated and changes in config will not take efect.

Cheers.