Menu

mod_perl debugging

Help
2008-03-24
2013-05-20
  • Robert Messer

Robert Messer - 2008-03-24

I am trying to get Eclipse to work with mod_perl for debugging.  I'm using Apache/2.2.8, mod_perl/2.0.4, with Perl v5.10.

Anyway, it seems tantalizingly close to working -- when I make a request from the mod_perl Apache, Eclipse brings up the handler and lets me step through code.  But there are some odd things that prevent me from getting it to work completely, such as:

- when I use the stock perl5db.pl (that comes with Apache::DB), and then resume, I never hit another break point.  The next request just continues, seemingly ignoring the debugger -- like Eclipse cleared all breakpoints and never send them again, or maybe it is always sending a "c" for continue with every request?

- If I use the EPIC version of perl5db.pl (which comes with epic_breakpoints.pm in the debug package), then I never stop at any breakpoints at all -- the mod_perl apache continues along and it looks as if the debugging isn't running, but rather just the mod_perl apache in regular mode.  But I know the debugger is running, it gives the normally start message and I can see its warn statements and such.

- Eclipse also continues to show "waiting for debugger connection" after I start the debug session.  And eclipse starts to listen on ports 5001 and 5002 for something, I'm not sure what.  I can telnet to those ports but they don't seem to be doing much, and I can't find any documentation for what eclipse is expecting there.

Any assistance is appreciated.  I've been using the mod_perl debugger for four or five years now, so I am experienced with the command line version, and also have used it under ddd.  But I'd much rather get it working under Eclipse if possible.  I'm willing to work with somebody experienced with EPIC to make it happen, and write up documentation after it is working, since I think it would generally be a useful feature for others working with Eclipse and Perl.  Thanks,

Rob

• Suresh Kumar

Suresh Kumar - 2008-03-24

Hi Robert,
               Am beginner of using EPIC. I have an issue with array while debugging. My script specifies $[ = 1; as base value of array is 1. But still debugger treats arrays from index 0 instead of 1. Hope you might be having good idea to overcome this problem. If possible please help me out from this weird issue.

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2008-03-24

Using an unmodified version of perl5db.pl from Apache would disable EPIC's insertion of breakpoints into newly loaded source files, possibly more. Bad idea.

Does Apache's perl5db.pl differ from the stock one shipped with Perl? If so, that might be a reason why substituting EPIC's version breaks something.

EPIC is waiting on redirected stderr/stdout on the ports 5001, 5002. You can turn off such redirection by setting an option in the launch configuration.

There have been some past threads about getting EPIC to work with mod_perl (I don't remember whether any resolution has been reached). If you'd like to have a closer look at the code, read http://e-p-i-c.sf.net/devguide/devguide.html Look at org.epic.debug.db.ResumeCommand to see how it decides whether to stop or continue after detecting that the interpreter was suspended.

• Robert Messer

Jan,

The perl5db.pl file that ships with Apache::DB does differ slightly (one line) from the version that comes with Perl itself.  During the installation of Apache::DB, it copies over the stock perl5db.pl and applies a patch.  (Changes "END" to "sub db_END", here's the link if it helps: http://search.cpan.org/src/FWILES/Apache-DB-0.13/Makefile.PL\)  But I applied that patch to EPIC's perl5db.pl, and still it doesn't recognize breakpoints.

I knew the regular perl5db.pl probably wouldn't work, but I tried it as a test.  It does in fact break at the start of the program, which is the default for the command line mod_perl debugging interface.  So that led me to believe debugging mod_perl through EPIC could work.

There have been a few threads over the past few years about mod_perl and EPIC, but none of them indicate that somebody actually got it to work completely.  I emailed the author of the most recent thread, and if I hear back from him I'll post it here.

In the meantime I'll look at the devguide link you sent, and also try to figure out epic_breakpoints.pm.  Somehow it seems the breakpoints aren't getting sent successfully from EPIC to the mod_perl debugging process, so it just runs with no pauses.  The "remote debugger" console window in Eclipse also shows nothing, so it's hard to tell exactly what's going wrong.

As far as the ports 5001/5002 -- where is the option turn off waiting for that redirection?  The debugger launch configuration has a place to enter the port for listening to the remote debugger,  and there are "capture output" and "create debug package" options, but I don't see anything about listening on other ports.  Thanks,

Rob

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2008-03-24

Re ports: the "capture output" option is what is meant.

Another debugging tip is to enable the "Debug console" in EPIC Preferences. This allows you to watch the communication of EPIC with the perl5db.pl process (see past threads for details). This is probably what you expected to see in the "remote debugger" console window.

• Robert Messer

Jan,

Thanks, enabling the "Debug console" did help quite a bit.  I was able to see that there was an issue with finding the path to some of the files in my project.  Once I corrected that, the breakpoints worked.

However, even with "capture output" unchecked, it seems that EPIC still starts listening on ports 5001 and 5002 and expecting to get something there (I know because I can telnet to those ports after I start the debug session but not before), and it displays a message "Waiting for debugger connection...".  In fact, if I run the debug process in the foreground, a modal dialog box with that message appears.  When I send a hit to the mod_perl apache, it does bring up the correct file in Eclipse, but I can't actually debug because the dialog is in the way, and so I can't click "resume" or other buttons.

If I start the debugger with "Launch in background" enabled, then things work better -- the dialog isn't in the way anymore, so once my code hits a breakpoint, it stops, and then I can step with F6 or click resume to continue.  All good, but I can still see in the "Progress" tab the "waiting for debugger connection" message.  Then exactly 30 seconds after I started the debug process in Eclipse, EPIC sends a 'q' to the debugger process (which it has connected to, running on port 5000 which I specified in the launch config and in PERLDB_OPTS).  That "q" ends the debugger session, and I have to restart the debugging process and get EPIC to reconnect.  Because it's exactly 30 seconds, and also because I am seeing some log messages like "Timed out while waiting for IO redirect from the debugged process," I'm thinking EPIC is looking for a connection on either port 5001 or 5002, and when it doesn't get it, it sends a "q" to the debug process on port 5000.

Anyway, I do have it working on some level, since I can debug with mod_perl for 30 seconds at a time.

To make it useful, as a hack I think I could go in and find that 30 second timeout value and change it to a very large number.  It would be better of course to make EPIC realize that it only needs to connect on the main user-specific port specified in the Perl Remote configuration.  After all with mod_perl, stderr (warn statements) normally go into the apache logs as well as to the debug console, and stdout goes back to the web browser.

Perhaps the "capture output" option needs some adjustment?  Or there should be some other option to facilitate debugging under mod_perl?

Rob

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2008-03-25

I believe I could reproduce the problem with a remote debug configuration with "capture output" disabled (without mod_perl). I committed a fix to be released in 0.6.22. Unfortunately, the CVS access from the shell server at sf.net is currently not working, so the release is going to be delayed (I just hope they didn't disable it for good for some reason). You can grab the fix from CVS if you're impatient.

• Robert Messer

Robert Messer - 2008-03-26

Sounds good, thanks.  I'll wait for the 0.6.22 release and then test it and reply back again with the results.  Also after that I'd be happy to write up a "how to debug under mod_perl with EPIC" page if that would be helpful.

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2008-03-26

0.6.22 is out. A mod_perl debugging tutorial would be surely appreciated.

• Robert Messer

Robert Messer - 2008-03-27

Ok, I tried it out and that changed fixed the timeout issue, thanks much.  So now it works great as far as controlling the breakpoints, stepping and continuing and so on.

However, now there is one more thing before I can really use it.  The variable view always reports "an error occurred while retrieving variables from the debugger process."  I looked at old forum posts and saw this one about "missing right curly...": https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1528954&forum_id=258688.

But that doesn't seem to be my issue.  I'm using perl 5.10, which already has a fix in perl5db.pl which is similar to that patch.

So I added some print statements to send perl5db.pl stuff to logs (debugging the old fashioned way), and it looks like sometimes the variable dump code is getting sent in chunks that are broken up.  For example, sometimes this comes across as one transmission, which works fine:

---------------------
              ($@, $!, $^E, $,, $/, $\, $^W) = @saved;package IS::Form; $^D = $^D | $DB::db_stop;
              ;{   
              do 'dumpvar_epic.pm' unless defined &dumpvar_epic::dump_lexical_vars;

my $offset = 0;
              my $varexpr = <<'EOT';
              $h->{'@qerrlist'}
              EOT
              my $subref = \&amp;dumpvar_epic::dump_array_expr;
              my $savout = select($DB::OUT);
              my $savbuf = $|;
              $| = 0;
              $subref->($offset, $varexpr);
              $| = $savbuf;
              print "";
              select($savout);
              };;
              ---------------------

But then the next time, it'll get split, so there are two separate sends, like this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              ;{   
              do 'dumpvar_epic.pm' unless defined &dumpvar_epic::dump_lexical_vars;

my $offset = 0;
              my $varexpr = <<'EOT';
              $h->{'@qerrlist'}
              EOT
              my $subref = \&amp;dumpvar_epic::dump_array_expr;
              my $savout
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              = select($DB::OUT);
              my $savbuf = $|;
              $| = 0;
              $subref->($offset, $varexpr);
              $| = $savbuf;
              print "";
              select($savout);
              };
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

perl5db.pl tries to eval the first chunk and chokes on it.  Any ideas?  To me it seems like either some kind of transmission error, or EPIC is breaking up the send somehow?

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2008-03-27

It would help if you could tell whether there are two sends + two receives or one send + two receives causing this problem (you can probably find out using strace).

• Robert Messer

Robert Messer - 2008-03-27

Ok, never mind about the issue with the variable view not working.  I read a few more posts on the forum about people having trouble with the default java version, and so I upgraded to java 1.6 and the problem went away.  I am using a CentOS 5.1 VM, and the default java there is the gcj version 1.4.2.  Apparently that version somehow split up messages to the debugging port, but that's not an issue now that I upgraded.

So now it's all good, and I'll write up some brief instructions and post it to the forum in the next few days.

The only remaining issue is relatively minor because I can work around it.  But here it is anyway -- when the debugger isn't active, the whole Eclipse window is frozen.  There can be no input or output, and resizing the window or moving panes around doesn't work.

To explain a bit more -- the typical cycle of debugging under mod_perl goes something like this:

1) start the debugging process in EPIC, so it listens for debugging output on the port you've chosen
                  2) start the apache mod_perl debugger from the command line
                  3) hit a web page in your app
                  4) the debugger becomes active.  step through the code, set breakpoints, look at variables, etc.
                  5) when done, hit continue (resume).  The page is sent to the browser which displays it.
                  6) hit another page in your browser, or refresh to hit the same page again.
                  then go back to step 4 until you're done.

Eclipse is frozen between steps 5 and 6.  So you can't edit files until you go to another page to make the debugger active.  In particular, let's say you want to temporarily browse to the right place in your webapp before setting another break point.  So you disable all breakpoints for a minute.  But now you can never add breakpoints back, because Eclipse is frozen the whole time.

The workaround is to terminate the apache mod_perl debugging process, at which point Eclipse wakes up.  You can then restart from step 1 and go from there.  So it's not a huge deal, but it would be nice to fix.

In any event, thanks for your help in getting EPIC working for me in debugging under mod_perl.

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2008-03-30

I got mod_perl working on my development machine today. I'm going to look into the GUI-thread-lockup-after-resume problem some time next week...

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2008-04-01

The good news is that I now got the mod_perl debugger working with EPIC, the very same sequence of steps you describe. The bad news is that I cannot reproduce the GUI thread lockup you experience. When I hit resume, the GUI remains responsive just as one expects it should.

I do have GUI thread lockup problems, but only when terminating the debugger (with the Terminate button). This is because the debugger does not respond to 'q' and does not even respond to SIGTERM. I have to kill -9 the httpd -X process and after that the session in EPIC also terminates.

I performed my tests on the sample "mod_perl rocks" handler from the documentation, but I see there's also this ModPerl::Registry wrapper for legacy scripts, which might behave differently (though I doubt it). In any case, let me know which one you use for testing.

By the way, I see no difference in behavior with perl5db.pl from EPIC or with perl5db.pl from EPIC with Apache::DB diffs. I discovered and fixed some minor problems in epic_breakpoints.pm (complaining about undefined references) as well as in exception handling (port 5000 was not being freed properly), but these were not related to the GUI lockups you reported.

• Robert Messer

Robert Messer - 2008-04-01

Ok, glad you were able to get the debugger working under mod_perl, even though you couldn't reproduce my problem.  What version of eclipse are you using by the way?  I was using 3.2, but then when I saw your message that you didn't have the same problem I did, I upgraded to 3.3.2, re-installed EPIC and other plug-ins, and tried again.

Now the behavior with 3.3.2 is different for me, but not consistent.  It seems like after the first few web requests, when I resume, the GUI is locked up.  Then later it isn't.  I haven't been able to nail down exactly when it locks up to give you more information.

I can say that regardless, if I ever remove all breakpoints I cannot debug again without terminating the process.  If I put breakpoints back in (when the GUI is not locked), they are never sent to the debugger, because EPIC seems to want to send them immediately.  But the debugger is basically not accepting input while it is waiting for the next request.  That's the same as with mod_perl debugging with a simple console window.  For EPIC to send those breakpoints, it would have to wait until the next web request, then send them at the start of that, before the first 'c' I'd think.  Or maybe you have some other way to do it?

As far as the handler -- I am using a custom handler, not ModPerl::Registry.  But like you say, that shouldn't make any difference.

I do also have to kill the debug process.  It was never kill -9 until perl 5.10 though, because there is an issue with Apache::DB and 5.10.

Sometimes after killing, when I restart I get "Cannot listen on local port debug port 5000.  Check that it is not bound by another application."  So I have to shutdown/restart eclipse.  It sounds like you fixed that issue.  Is that in cvs?

One final question -- I started writing up a brief how-to on mod_perl debugging with Eclipse, but wasn't sure how best to post it.  Maybe just a new thread in the forum?

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2008-04-01

I was using 3.2 for my testing, I'll check with 3.3 later.

About putting breakpoints: I can't see how the issue would be different in normal Perl (say, with a long loop) and mod_perl. In both cases you can manipulate breakpoints in Eclipse when the debugger is not ready, and EPIC should be buffering the breakpoint commands until the next suspend (I'll check whether it works).

I have to kill -9 even though I'm using perl 5.8.8 (with Apache 2.2.8 and mod_perl 2.0.3).

The "cannot listen" issue should be indeed fixed in CVS.

I think it will be best to include the mod_perl how-to in the EPIC User Guide (somewhere near the description of the "Perl Remote" launch configuration type). So it doesn't really matter how you post it. You could edit guide.xml in the org.epic.doc project directly if you are familiar with DocBook.

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2008-04-02

I have the same behavior with 3.3 and 3.2 - no GUI lockups.

I found adding/removing breakpoints while the debugger was not suspended to be unreliable. Fixed it in CVS.

• olia

olia - 2009-04-14

does anyone happen to know if Rob ever did post the directions on how to setup debugging for mod_perl?  Or if some other set of directions exist?

thank you!
      Olia

• Francisco Padilla O.

Hello everybody:

I have problems debuging mod_perl with epic. I follow above instructions; degugger stop on first sentence  but just after, it appear epic sends quit command to remote debugger. I'm using epic 0.6.35 eclipse 3.4.2, mod_perl 2.0.4 and perl 5.8.8. here is eclipse debug console output:

Loading DB routines from perl5db.pl EpicVersion 1.28
    Editor support available.

Enter h or ´h h' for help, or `man perldebug' for more help.

ModPerl::Registry::handler(/Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/ModPerl/Registry.pm:29):
    29:     my $class = (@_ &gt;= 2) ? shift : __PACKAGE__;

DB&lt;1&gt; printf $DB::OUT &quot;%vd&quot;, $^V;

DB&lt;2&gt; require IO::Socket; {my $OUT;$OUT = new IO::Socket::INET(Timeout  =&gt; '10',PeerAddr =&gt; ':5001',Proto    =&gt; 'tcp',);STDOUT-&gt;fdopen($OUT,&quot;w&quot;);STDIN-&gt;fdopen($OUT,&quot;r&quot;);}

DB&lt;3&gt; require IO::Socket; {my $OUT;$OUT = new IO::Socket::INET(Timeout  =&gt; '10',PeerAddr =&gt; ':5002',Proto    =&gt; 'tcp',);STDERR-&gt;fdopen($OUT,&quot;w&quot;);}

DB&lt;4&gt; ;{foreach $t(@INC) {print $DB::OUT $t.&quot;\n&quot;;}}
    /home/devrentalo/www/dev.rentalo.com/Debug
    /home/devrentalo/www/dev.rentalo.com/engine
    /Library/Perl/Updates/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    /Library/Perl/Updates/5.8.8
    /System/Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    /System/Library/Perl/5.8.8
    /Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    /Library/Perl/5.8.8
    /Library/Perl
    /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.8
    /Network/Library/Perl
    /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.8.8
    /Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    /Library/Perl/5.8.6
    /Library/Perl/5.8.1
    /usr

DB&lt;5&gt; print $DB::OUT eval { require PadWalker; PadWalker-&gt;VERSION(0.08) }
      DB&lt;6&gt; ;{
    my $file = &lt;&lt;'EOT';
    /home/devrentalo/www/dev.rentalo.com/engine/Presentation/Web/Client/Booking/BookingView.pm
    EOT
    my $line = &lt;&lt;'EOT';
    EOT
    my $cond = '';

epic_breakpoints::add_breakpoint($file, $line, $cond);
    };

DB&lt;7&gt; .
    ModPerl::Registry::handler(/Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/ModPerl/Registry.pm:29):
      DB&lt;7&gt; T
    $ = ModPerl::Registry::handler('ModPerl::Registry', ref(Apache2::RequestRec)) called from -e line 0
    $ = eval {…} called from -e line 0
      DB&lt;7&gt; .
      DB&lt;7&gt; .
      DB&lt;7&gt; .
      DB&lt;7&gt; .
      DB&lt;7&gt; .
      DB&lt;7&gt; ;{   
    do 'dumpvar_epic.pm' unless defined &amp;dumpvar_epic::dump_lexical_vars;

my $offset = 0;
    my $savout = select($DB::OUT);
    dumpvar_epic::dump_lexical_vars($offset);
    select($savout);
    };

DB&lt;8&gt; q

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2009-10-21

fpadilla: What do you mean by &quot;just after&quot; - are you able to execute a single step command? Have you managed to get it working on a Hello World style project first? Is anything suspicious appearing in Eclipse's error log?

• Francisco Padilla O.

Hi jean. I'm sorry by my english.  I mean, 7 seconds after debugger stop on first sentence. I don't do nothing. Also, Epic quit the remote debugger even if a click on continue or execute a single step command. here other debug console output:

DB&lt;9&gt; n

ModPerl::Registry::handler(/Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/ModPerl/Registry.pm:30):
    30:     my $r = shift;

DB&lt;9&gt; .

ModPerl::Registry::handler(/Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/ModPerl/Registry.pm:30):

DB&lt;9&gt; .

DB&lt;9&gt; .

DB&lt;9&gt; .

DB&lt;9&gt; T

$ = ModPerl::Registry::handler('ModPerl::Registry', ref(Apache2::RequestRec)) called from -e line 0
    $ = eval {…} called from -e line 0

DB&lt;9&gt; .

DB&lt;9&gt; c

Presentation::Web::Client::Booking::BookingView::list(/home/devrentalo/www/dev.rentalo.com/engine/Presentation/Web/Client/Booking/BookingView.pm:75):
    75:     my $interface = shift;

DB&lt;9&gt; q

How you can see, it stop in break points, but sends quit in last command

• Francisco Padilla O.

I forgotten eclipse error log report:

Error
    Thu Oct 22 11:55:58 COT 2009
    Timed out while waiting for IO redirect from the debugged process

I think it happen after quit comand.

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2009-10-23

The error message about timeout you see and the presence of the IO::Socket::INET lines in the debug output:give a clue. These two lines should not be present. Have you forgotten to disable &quot;Capture Output&quot; in the launch configuration?

• Francisco Padilla O.

Thanks Jan, now it is working fine.